This is a post I first wrote for Talking Teaching - but hey! it's about teaching science!
Today's class was a real experiment for me, & although I try lots of different things in my classes, it was also a step outside my normal comfort zone. (But hey! life would be a bit boring if we always stayed safely inside that zone!) Why? Because I put into practice an idea I stole from my friend & colleague Kevin Gould (who also very kindly let me use the resources he'd developed): today was "design-a-plant" day, & probably to anyone looking into the lecture theatre during the first 30 minutes or so it would have looked as if chaos definitely ruled.
Last Friday I gave everyone an information sheet: descriptions of the features of leaf, stem & root that you might see in plants adapted to different environments. Today I trotted off to the lecture room with a box full of overhead transparency sheets, overhead pens, & printed scenarios (descriptions of a particular environment). The lecture theatre was already full – everyone had come ahead of time! This definitely wasn’t usual (it’s not that they normally trickle in late, but we're talking seriouslyearly); obviously they were expecting something special. Gulp.
So I put up these slides:
then once they'd sorted out their groups I dished out pens, transparencies, scenario sheets (& copies of the info sheet for those who'd forgotten them), & away we went on a mutual journey of discovery. After all, this wasn't myidea & I had no idea how it would really work out.
Well! The class erupted into happy, productive noise. I know it was productive because while they talked, argued, explained & persuaded, I circulated, listened in, & answered the occasional question. Those with computers had them open - looking up information related to their scenario. (Next time someone asks a question that I can't answer on the spot, I'm jolly well going to get someone else to google it for me!) They drew, & altered their drawings, & drew some more. The original 20 minutes stretched towards 30, & still they were focused on what they were doing. I was almost sorry to interrupt :-)
Then, I called for volunteers. A hand went up almost immediately, & its owner came down to the overhead projector, not looking too nervous. She picked up the microphone, described her group's scenario, & showed - & explained - their response. The next speakers followed just as quickly, and each speaker received a round of applause as they finished.
But the proof's in the pudding - just what sort of plant had they designed? Well, they didn't necessarily look like plants that my botanical colleagues could have put a name to, but nonetheless, the explanations each group gave for their particular design were sound, & science-based. They'd obviously taken on board not only the info on that fact sheet, but also the material we'd been looking at in lectures & that they'd found on line. And they'd had fun doing it. (I particularly liked the Nepalese Death Vine - the eerie noise of the wind passing through its herbivore-deterring spines apparently puts the locals off harvesting it, lol - and the Serengeti "cactus" that traps water in basin-like leaves, but when there's a fire the plant's transpirative water loss is such that its tissues become flaccid and it wilts, spilling that water onto the ground where the dampness keeps the worst of the fire at bay.) Plus - so far, the feedback for this exercise on our Moodle page is all positive: students felt it definitely helped their learning about plants.
Thanks, Kevin – your design-a-plant lesson got an A+ from all of us today!