Professor Joseph Waas
Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Trent PhD Cant
- Research activities related to the behaviour and ecology of birds, fish and mammals including studies of:
- animal communication;
- the biology of aggression;
- animal welfare;
- social factors influencing reproductive physiology;
- conservation biology;
- social recognition systems; and
- the ontogeny of social behaviour.
- Lowe, Gemma (in progress). The use of infrared thermography for early detection in New Zealand dairy cattle and goats.
- Farnworth, Bridgette (in progress). Exploring rodent risk perception in the context of pest control: how do direct and indirect predation cues, singly or in combination, affect prey responses within ecologically sensitive habitats.
- Hempstead, Melissa (in progress). Pain assessment of responses of goat kids to husbandry practices.
- Bradley, David (2012). Evolutionary significance and conservation implications of vocal dialects in North Island Kōkako (Callaeas wilsoni).
- Valderrama, Sandra (2012). Dialect formation in fragmented populations of the endangered North Island Kōkako (Callaeas wilsoni).
- Verbeek, Else (2011). Animal welfare objective measures research programme.
- Kelly, Catherine (2016). House mouse (Mus musculus) use of vertical space and impact on bird nesting success.
- Topp, Theresa (2016). Automated measurement of disease and pain in New Zealand group-housed calves.
- Hill, Carly (in progress). New Zealand mustelids and the ecomorphometrics of mandibles.
- Le Roux, Daniel (2010). Monitoring long-tailed bat (Chalinolobus tuberculatus) activity and investigating the effect of aircraft noise on bat behaviour in a modified ecosystem.
- Hawke, Michelle (2010). The effects of early handling on play behaviour and social interactions in dairy calves.
- Guadarrama, Veronica (2009). The effect of a Pavlovian conditioning paradigm on stress and development of play-related behaviour in early and normally weaned rats.
- Ninnes, Calum (2008). Behavioural endocrinology of breeding Adelie penguins (Pygoscelis adeliae).
- Tulloch, Brydget (2007). The effect of relatedness, social contact, and sex on observational learning in rats (Rattus norvegicus).
- Wallace, Jess (2006). Comparison of vertical flight activity of short-tailed bats within podocarp and beech forests, New Zealand.
- Lowe, Gemma (2016). Infrared thermography for early disease detection in dairy calves.
- Hempstead, Melissa (2015). Behavioural responses of goat kids to disbudding - no pain, no gain?
- Moffat, Bridgette (2015). Converting predation cues into conservation management tools: the effect of light on Mus musculus behaviour.
- Brooks, Lydia (2013). Characterising the orexigenic section of oxytocin receptor antagonist L-368,899 in the context of stimulating sweet tastant intake and reducing taste aversion.
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4286