Emeritus Professor Roy Daniel
Emeritus Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: BSc [Hons] PhD Leic FRSNZ FNZIC
Current research is centered on the biochemistry, microbiology, and biotechnological applications of extremely thermophilic bacteria. Within these areas, major current topics are:
1) The inter-relationship of enzyme activity, stability, and dynamics;
2) The effect of temperature on enzymes;
3) Properties and applications of stable enzymes, especially proteases.
- Clement, David (2009). The effect of dynamics on enzyme activity.
- Lopez, Murielle (2008). The effect of hydration on enzyme activity.
- Lee, Charles (2007). Environmental effects on enzyme true temperature optima.
- Peterson, Michelle (2006). Temperature effects on enzymes.
- Oudshoorn, Matthew (2008). Tests of predictions made by the equilibrium model for the effect of temperature on enzyme activity.
Daniel, R. M., & Danson, M. J. (2013). Temperature and the catalytic activity of enzymes: A fresh understanding. FEBS Letters, 587(17), 2738-2743. doi:10.1016/j.febslet.2013.06.027 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/7764
Lee, C. K., Monk, C. R., & Daniel, R. M. (2013). Determination of enzyme thermal parameters for rational enzyme engineering and environmental/evolutionary studies. In J. A. Gerrard (Ed.), Protein nanotechnology: Protocols, instrumentation, and applications. Second Edition (pp. 219-230). New York: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-1-62703-354-1_13 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/7424
Hobbs, J. K., Shepherd, C., Saul, D. J., Demetras, N. J., Haaning, S., Monk, C. R., . . . Arcus, V. L. (2011). On the origin and evolution of thermophily: Reconstruction of functional Precambrian Enzymes from ancestors of Bacillus. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 29(2), 825-835. doi:10.1093/molbev/msr253 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/7336
Hobbs, J. K., Shepherd, C., Saul, D. J., Demetras, N. J., Haaning, S., Monk, C. R., . . . Arcus, V. L. (2011). Recreating the past: Reconstruction of a one-billion-year-old-enzyme. Poster session presented at the meeting of Queenstown Molecular Biology. Conference held at Queenstown, New Zealand.
View All research publications by Roy Daniel