Associate Professor Nicholas Ling
Associate Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: BSc MSc PhD Auckland
Comparative animal physiology, particularly the physiology and biomechanical behaviour of muscleand connective tissues. Environmental physiology, including the effects of environmental changes and pollutants on physiological systems.
- Chong, Grace-Lynn (in progress). Effects of lake trophic state and season on production and bioaccumulation of methylmercury.
- Perrie, Alton (in progress). Trophic interactions and the role of exotic fishes in structuring indigenous fish communities and modifying food-webs in shallow lake and lagoon systems in the Wellington Region.
- Ulrich, Christine (2018). Comparative oxygen sensing mechanisms & adaptation to hypoxia in galaxiid fishes.
- Iuele, Helena (2017). In-situ estrogenic compound concentrations and potency in water using coupled DGT-YES.
- Kallingappa, Prasanna (2013). Quinescence induces epigenetic changes n bovine fibroblasts and improves their reprogramming into cloned embryos.
- Tempero, Grant (2011). Abundance and function of multiple haemoglobin isomorphs from Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss).
- McFarlane, Craig (2007). The functional role of Myostatin during muscle wasting and regeneration.
- Siriett, Victoria (2007). The role of myostatin during age-related Sarcopenia.
- Bannon, Jim (2006). Effects of water quality on sustained swimming ability in New Zealand native fishes.
- Rogers, David (2006). Metabolic effects of controlled atmosphere treatment in huhu larvae.
- Cairney, Julie (2005). Defining the structural elements of ovine muscle that contribute to fibre tensile strength.
- Gao, Yuan (2017). Mercury and other toxic elements in fish from the Waihou River and the Firth of Thames.
- Kiddle, Jackie (in progress).
- Parfitt, Rowena (in progress).
- Pyper, Nicola (in progress).
- Hontiveros, Garrianne Fatima (2018). Identifying causes of high pH in lamb meat.
- Pepper, Katie (2015). Reproductive investment and strategies of Gobiomorphus cotidianus.
- Webby, Ashley (2014). Toxicological effects of MV Rena pollutants to New Zealand fish and lobster.
- Harris, Daina (2012). Inhibition of ERK and GSK3 signalling pathways promotes development and expression of pluripotent markers in bovine blastocysts.
- Brijs, Erik (2010). The effect of Pax3 over-expression on myoblast function.
- Shannon, Nicholas (2009). Remediation of pulp and paper mill biosolids using vermiculture.
- Fieten, Daniel (2009). The effect of a myostatin antagonist on the healing of burn wounds in skin.
- Laurenson, Rachel (2009). The effect of myostatin-antagonist4 on a severe muscle burn injury.
- Taylor, Sean (2009). Flow cytometric enumeration of the blood cells of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and New Zealand freshwater crayfish (Paranephrops planifrons).
- Bleakley, Natalie (2008). Biology of common bully (Gobiomorphus cotidianus) populations in the Tarawera and Rangitaiki Rivers: reproductive isolation by inland distance or effluent discharges?
- Brijs, Jereon (2007). The ecophysiology & evolution of adaptives oxygen transport in NZ mudfishes.
- McDonald, Amy (2007). Translocation, habitat characterisation and rearing investigations of black mudfish (Neochanna diversus).
- Theobald, Kylie (2007). Ecology and impact of invasive gobies.
- Wilson, Bridget (2007). The role of a novel zinc-finger transcription factor in myogenesis.
- Davies, Todd (2006). Role of Mighty in satellite cells and skeletal muscle regeneration.
- Dyer, Kelly (2006). The role of Mighty during embryogenesis and myogenesis.
- Osborne, Matt (2006). Movement, growth and diet of koi carp in lower Waikato.
- Grigg, Holly (in progress).
Tempero, G. W., Hicks, B. J., Ling, N., Morgan, D., Daniel, A. J., Özkundakci, D., & David, B. (2019). Fish community responses to invasive fish removal and installation of an exclusion barrier at Lake Ohinewai, Waikato. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 53(3), 397-415. doi:10.1080/00288330.2019.1579101
Browne, C. M., Quaife, J. A., Edwards, T. L., Ling, N., & Tempero, G. W. (2018). Conservation dogs: Detection of invasive fish in freshwater. In Canine Science Forum. Conference held at Eötvös Loránd Unversity, Budapest, Hungary.
Ling, N., Bailey, B., & Cameron, S. (2018). Ninjas in NZ: Red-eared slider turtles are breeding in New Zealand. In 50th New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society Annual Conference. Conference held The Rutherford, Nelson, New Zealand.
Perrie, A., Ling, N., Hicks, B., Collier, K., & Pingram, M. (2018). Are non-indigenous fishes exploiting empty niches in lacustrine environments?. In 50th New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society conference. Held at The Rutherford, Nelson, New Zealand.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 837 9374