Dr Martin Atkins
Senior Lecturer in Chemical and Process Engineering
Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD (Univ. of Waikato)
Process integration and pinch analysis, integration of renewable energy for process heat, pinch analysis for emissions reduction, process modelling, industrial energy efficiency, pulp and paper processing and pressure screening of pulp suspensions.
- Nathan S. Lal (PhD, 2020), Automated Retrofit of Heat Exchanger Networks, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Waiting for examination).
- Dani Bertram (PhD, 2020), Optimal Integration of Wave Energy Systems into the New Zealand Electricity Grid, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; In progress).
- Abdul Kaggwa (PhD, 2021), Nanofluids as Heat Transfer Media in Flat Plate Solar Water Heaters, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; In progress).
- Benjamin Ong (PhD, 2019), A Kraft Mill-Integrated Biorefinery Design for New Zealand, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Passed).
- Amir Tarighaleslami (PhD, 2018), Unified Total Site Heat Integration: Targeting, Optimisation and Network Design, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Tim Walmsley (PhD, 2014), Heat Integrated Milk Powder Production, University of Waikato, (Co-supervisor; Passed)
- Haofeng Zhu (ME, 2020), A Seabased Wave Energy Device: An Experimental Investigation, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor: Thesis submitted).
- Alvin Chand (MSc, 2016), Carbon Dioxide Emission Reduction in New Zealand Transport Sector, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Akash Lokhande (ME, 2015), Vacuum Steam Desuperheating and Condensation: An Experimental Investigation, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Passed).
Energy; Engineering; Fluid Mechanics; Sustainability
Process Integration, Industrial Energy Systems, Process Heat, Emissions Reduction
Aporosa, A. S., Atkins, M., & Brunton, R. (2020). Kava drinking in traditional settings: Towards understanding effects on cognitive function. Human Psychopharmacology, 35(2). doi:10.1002/hup.2725
Lal, N. S., Atkins, M. J., Walmsley, T. G., Walmsley, M. R. W., & Neale, J. R. (2019). Flexibility Analysis of Heat Exchanger Network Retrofit Designs using Monte Carlo Simulation. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 76, 463-468. doi:10.3303/CET1976078
Tarighaleslami, A. H., Kambadur, S., Neale, J. R., Atkins, M. J., & Walmsley, M. R. W. (2019). Sustainable energy transition toward renewable energies in the New Zealand dairy industry: An environmental life cycle assessment. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 76, 97-102. doi:10.3303/CET1976017
Stampfli, J. A., Atkins, M. J., Olsen, D. G., Walmsley, M. R. W., & Wellig, B. (2019). Practical heat pump and storage integration into non-continuous processes: A hybrid approach utilizing insight based and nonlinear programming techniques. Energy, 182, 236-253. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2019.05.218
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 837 9637
Cellphone: +64 21139 4538