Dr Ryan D Martinus
Senior Lecturer (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: BSc, MSc Waikato, PhD Massey
Personal Website: http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/about-us/people/martinus
I am interested in the relationships between mitochondrial stress and inflammatory responses in CNS, muscle, pancreas and reproductive processes.
- Najafzadeh, Vahid (in progress). Biochemical and metabolic foundations of pluripotent stem cells in cattle.
- Jabed, Md Anower (2012). RNAi-mediated reduction of a major ruminant specific milk allergen using a transgenic mouse model.
- Azfar, Afreen (in progress).
- Chandra, Usharani (in progress). Further elucidating the mechanisms of cytotoxicity of pterocellin A from pterocella vesiculosa using breast cancer cells and non-cancerous cells.
- Kaur, Supreet (2016). In vitro study of heat shock protein 60 expression and mitochondrial stress in HeLa cells.
- Wang, Alice (2015). Elucidating the modes of action of the antitumour New Zealand marine natural product Pterocellin A.
- Newland, Julia (submitted). Investigating anti-inflammatory modulators of primary glial cell inflammation.
- Hall, Luke (2013). A model in vitro system to study Heat Shock Protein 60 (HSP60) expression in response to mitochondrial impairment in human cells.
- Short, Matthew (2013). GFP tagged HSP60 used to investigate the translocation of HSP60 in response to mitochondrial stress in HeLa cells.
- Tsuei, An-Chi (2010). Effects of metformin on human moncytic THP-1 cells - implications for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Chou, Tzu-Wen Joy (2009). Inflammation and mitochondrial dysfunction: is HSP60 the link?
- Gong, Bei (2009). Developing a Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR)-based method for sub-nanomolar detecting of Heat Shock Proteins.
- Sowry, Blair (2009). Epigenetic reprogramming of somatic cells by zygotic factors.
- Puddick, Jonathan (2006). A comparartive proteomics approach to studying skeletal muscle mitochondria from myostatin knockout mice.
- Collins, Tracey (2006). The role of mitochondrial oxidative stress in trophoblast cells and placentation of cloned embryos.
- Hwang, Lisa (2006). Mitochondrial dysfunction and Inflammation in diabetic CNS.
- Munif, Farina (2006). In vitro Investigation into the Health of Free and Encapsulated Porcine - Islet Cells Prior to Xenotransplantation.
- Steenkamer, Bridget (2015). The effect of physiological high glucose on HeLa cell groth, function and heat shock protein 60 (HSP60) expression.
Biochemistry; Molecular Biology
Najafzadeh, V., Henderson, H., Martinus, R. D., & Oback, B. (2018). Bovine blastocyst development depends on threonine catabolism. bioRxiv. doi:10.1101/397562 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12307
Martinus, R. D., & Goldsbury, J. (2018). Endothelial TNF-α induction by Hsp60 secreted from THP-1 monocytes exposed to hyperglycaemic conditions. Cell Stress and Chaperones, 23(4), 519-525. doi:10.1007/s12192-017-0858-x
Martinus, R. (2018). Hsp60 secreted from THP-1 monocyte cells exposed to hyperglycaemic conditions induce TNF-a in HUVEC endothelial cells: implications for diabetic vascular disease. In 2018 International Congress of Diabetes and Metabolism. Conference held at Grand Hilton Seoul Hotel, Seoul, Korea.
Najafzadeh, V., Martinus, R. D., & Oback, B. (2017). The role of amino acid metabolism in bovine inner cell mass development and pluripotency. In Human Reproduction Vol. 32 (pp. i1-i539). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/humrep/32.Supplement_1.1
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4375
Cellphone: +64 274900551