Professor Merilyn Manley-Harris
Professor ( Chemistry); Undergraduate Convener (Chemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology ); Academic Manager (Chemical Services )
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) James Cook University, PhD University of Montana
Current research projects include: Studies on NZ honey; carbohydrate profiling, organic contaminants
General interests include carbohydrate chemistry, all forms of HPLC including ion chromatography; NMR spectroscopy and other forms of natural product analysis and characterization.
- Tanner-Dempsey, Greer (in progress). Analysis of volatile organic compounds that alert dogs to the presence of lung cancer.
- Li, Yanan (in progress). Development of a cyanide-free assay for vitamin B12 in infant formulas.
- Shrubsall, Jacob (in progress) Rewarewa honey.
- Sorensen, Stine (in progress) Effect of sedimentation on seagrass (Zostera muelleri) survival.
- Bernstein, Daniel (in progress). Removal of traces organics using advanced oxidation and biological filtration for drinking water supply.
- MacAskilll, Jessica (2017). Impact of pretreatment chemistry on the biochemical process for biofuel production.
- Grainger, Megan (2015). Kinetics of conversion of dihydroxyacetone to methylglyoxal in honey.
- McDonald-Wharry, John (2015). Carbonisation of harakeke (Phormium tenax) biomass for potential application as composite reinforcement. Embargoed until 22 May 2017.
- Brown, Jolene (2014). Seasonal comparison of lipid composition and metabolism in parasitised and non-parasitised clover root weevil (Sitona lepidus).
- Gill, Brendon (2013). Analysis of nucleosides and nucleotides in milk and infant formula.
- Srinivasan, Prakash (2013). Sorption, degradation and transport of veterinary antibiotics in New Zealand pastoral soils.
- Li, Yi (2003) in vivo utilisation of fructooligosaccharides by sheep faecal bifidobacteria and in vitro antagonistic effects against intestinal pathogens.
- Christian, Ted (1999), Kinetics of formation of di-D-fructose dianhydrides from thermal treatments of inulin.
- Duke, Emily (2018).
- Willcock, Nathan (2018). Development of a field test for classification of dihydroxyacetone content of mānuka (Leptospermum scoparium) nectar.
- Owens, Adrian (2016). Kinetics of dedimerisation of dihydroxyacetone in aprotic media.
- Sorensen, Stine (in progress). Seagrass vulnerability and resilience: the threat of sedimentation. (chief supervisor Marnie Campbell).
- Bernstein, Daniel (2015). Development of a method for trace analysis of dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate by liquid chromatography mass spectrometry and its application to samples from the MV Rena incident.
- Lloyd, Alicia (2015). Analysis of amino acids in mānuka honey.
- Tanner-Dempsey, Greer (2017).Development of a method for the analysis of amino acids and phenolic acids in manuka honey".
- Yin, Yingjie (2015). Developing a rapid in-field sensor for DHA in nectar of Leptospermum Scoparium.
- Brown, Jolene (2014). Equilibration of D-glucaric acid in aqueous solution
- Cameron, Nicola (2014). Use of LA-ICP-MS to analyse dental enamel in order to locate the geographical origin of teeth.
- MacAskill, Jessica (2013). Quantification of nitro-toxins in Karaka (Corynocarpus laevigatus) Drupes.
- Yang, Wenjuan (2012). Investigation of extractable materials from biochar.
- Chan, Ching (2011). Isolation, charaterisation and synthesis of a phenyl-substituted pyrrole isolated from the flavonoid fraction of mānuka honey.
- Dumté, Mérine (2010). Development of a method for the quantitative detection of honey in imported products.
- Faville, Martyn (2010). Examination of the molecular mass of polyhydroxypolyamides.
- Grainger, Megan (2010). Categorisation and discrimination of Automotive glass fragments by Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass-Spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS) for forensic purposes.
- McDonald-Wharry, John (2010). Characterisation of water soluble polysaccharides produced during prehydrolysis of pinus radiata.
- Deadman, Benjamin (2009). The flavonoid profile of New Zealand mānuka honey.
- Haisley Bassard, Connor (2016). Sugar profiles of Dactylanthus.
- Brunton, Richard (2015). The extraction, quantification and characterisation of kavalactones from Piper methysticum (Kava).
Ha, N. T., Manley-Harris, M., Pham, T. D., & Hawes, I. (2020). A Comparative Assessment of Ensemble-Based Machine Learning and Maximum Likelihood Methods for Mapping Seagrass Using Sentinel-2 Imagery in Tauranga Harbor, New Zealand. Remote Sensing, 12(3), 355. doi:10.3390/rs12030355
Owens, A., Lane, J. R., Manley-Harris, M., Marie Jensen, A., & Jørgensen, S. (2019). Kinetics of conversion of dihydroxyacetone to methylglyoxal in New Zealand mānuka honey: Part V – The rate determining step. Food Chemistry, 276, 636-642. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.10.039
Martin, J. W., Nyadong, L., Ducati, C., Manley-Harris, M., Marshall, A. G., & Kraft, M. (2019). Nanostructure of gasification charcoal (biochar). Environmental Science and Technology, 53(7), 3538-3546. doi:10.1021/acs.est.8b06861 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13031
Noe, S., Manley-Harris, M., & Clearwater, M. J. (2019). Floral nectar of wild mānuka (Leptospermum scoparium) varies more among plants than among sites. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science. doi:10.1080/01140671.2019.1670681
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4384
Cellphone: 027 389 6347
Fax: +64 7 838 4219