Professor Karin R Bryan
Director Environmental Research Institute
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Toronto, PhD Dalhousie
Personal Website: https://karinrbryan.weebly.com
I conduct research under 4 themes that are related in their aim of understanding the dynamics of sediments and nutrients in the coastal environments, and how these contribute to controlling state changes in the physical environments. These themes are (1) dynamics of the swash and surfzone; (2) beach morphodynamics; (3) nutrient dynamics in estuaries; (4) tidal inlet and estuarine morphodynamics.
See Google Scholar for a list of my papers.
- Ted Conroy (in progress). Sediment and hydrodynamics of the Hawke's Bay.
- Wagner Costa (in progress). Storm surges in enclosed basins.
- Amin Rahradian (in progress). Landscape control on physical services of coastal mangroves.
- John Montgomery (in progress). Storm surges in Tauranga Harbour.
- Hieu Nguyen (in progress). The stability of intertidal sediments.
- Stewart, Benjamin (in progress). Investigating groundwater derived dissolved inorganic nitrogen fluxes with Tauranga Harbour.
- Atkin, Ed (in progress). The influence of sediment dynamics around an ebb tidal delta on the quality of surfing waves.
- Walker, Justin (in progress). Decadal teleconnection controls on marine spit evolution and inlet morphodynamics in North Island, New Zealand.
- Coppede Cussioli, Mariana (2018). Turbidity variations in and around the Port of Tauranga.
- Godoi, Victor (2018). The relationship between wave climate, storm wave events and atmospheric oscillation modes around New Zealand.
- Hunt, Stephen (2016). The control of wind and waves on sediment transport and the long-term morphological development of estuaries.
- Port, Alexander (2016). Estuary-shelf nutrient exchange controls on interannual patterns in estuarine Ulva dynamics.
- Emani, Amir (2016). Seepage line influence on the beach face volume at Murawai Beach.
- Harrison, Shawn (2015). Morphodynamics of Ebb-tidal Deltas.
- Kyle Spiers (2013). Investigation of access channel sedimentation processes and the impact of capital dredging on harbour circulation patterns.
- Flaim, Bryna (2012). Sediment dispersion at the New Auckland Marine Disposal Ground, Northeast New Zealand.
- Guedes, Rafael (2012). Effects of surfzone wave transformation on swash dynamics.
- Tay, Hui Woon (2011). Nutrient dynamics in shallow tidally-dominated estuaries.
- van Maanen, Barend (2011). Modelling the long-term morphological evolution of tidal embayments.
- Ariana Moffatt (in progress), Reconstructing past hydrodynamics of Tauranga Harbour.
- Celeste Davies-Calway (in progress) Dune toe variations on Coromandel Beaches.
- Zhanchao Shao (2020), Developing estuarine health indicators with Sentinel-2 imagery
- Rajasain Edralin (2019). Mapping mangrove patterns with Landsat imagery.
- Michael Tyler(2018).
- Jaime Davies-Campbell (2018). Surf-breaks at Aramoana.
- Rebekah Haughey (2016). Modelling the long term evolution of mangrove intertidal flats in the Firth of Thames.
- Berengere Dejeans (2016). Hypsometry of New Zealand estuaries.
- Christopher Morcom (2013). Nitrogen yields into the Tauranga Harbour based on sub-catchment land use.
- Renee Foster (2012). Shoreline variation and beach rotation of Pauanui Beach.
- Wood, Andrew (2010). Episodic, seasonal and long term morphological changes in Coromandel beaches.
- Eyre, Tracey (2009). The sediment dynamics of Ahuriri Estuary, Napier, New Zealand.
- Gallop, Shari (2009). Rip current dynamics on an embayed beach.
Coastal Zone Management; Environment; Environment Issues; Environmental Change; Environmental Science and Technology
Earth Sciences Coastal Processes
de Ruiter, P. J., Mullarney, J. C., Bryan, K. R., & Winter, C. (2019). The links between entrance geometry, hypsometry and hydrodynamics in shallow tidally dominated basins. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 16 pages. doi:10.1002/esp.4622
Norris, B. K., Mullarney, J. C., Bryan, K. R., & Henderson, S. M. (2019). Turbulence within natural mangrove pneumatophore canopies. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 124, 2263-2288. doi:10.1029/2018JC014562
Coco, G., & Bryan, K. (2019). New tools for assessing climate change impacts on coastal hazards. Natural Hazards 2018, 20-21. doi:10.21420/KJNM-R522
Liu, Z. C., de Lange, W. P., & Bryan, K. R. (2019). Estuary rejuvenation in response to sea level rise: an example from Tairua Estuary, New Zealand. Geo-Marine Letters, 12 pages. doi:10.1007/s00367-019-00603-0
View All research publications by Karin Bryan
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4123