Professor Karin R Bryan
Director ERI; Assistant Dean - Research (School of Science); Coastal Marine Group and Earth sciences research area
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Toronto, PhD Dalhousie
Personal Website: https://karinrbryan.weebly.com
I conduct research under 4 themes that are related in their aim of understanding the dynamics of sediments and nutrients in the coastal environments, and how these contribute to controlling state changes in the physical environments. These themes are (1) dynamics of the swash and surfzone; (2) beach morphodynamics; (3) nutrient dynamics in estuaries; (4) tidal inlet and estuarine morphodynamics.
- John Montgomery (in progress). Storm surges in Tauranga Harbour.
- Hieu Nguyen (in progress). The stability of intertidal sediments.
- Stewart, Benjamin (in progress). Investigating groundwater derived dissolved inorganic nitrogen fluxes with Tauranga Harbour.
- Atkin, Ed (in progress). The influence of sediment dynamics around an ebb tidal delta on the quality of surfing waves.
- Walker, Justin (in progress). Decadal teleconnection controls on marine spit evolution and inlet morphodynamics in North Island, New Zealand.
- Coppede Cussioli, Mariana (2018). Turbidity variations in and around the Port of Tauranga.
- Godoi, Victor (2018). The relationship between wave climate, storm wave events and atmospheric oscillation modes around New Zealand.
- Hunt, Stephen (2016). The control of wind and waves on sediment transport and the long-term morphological development of estuaries.
- Port, Alexander (2016). Estuary-shelf nutrient exchange controls on interannual patterns in estuarine Ulva dynamics.
- Emani, Amir (2016). Seepage line influence on the beach face volume at Murawai Beach.
- Harrison, Shawn (2015). Morphodynamics of Ebb-tidal Deltas.
- Kyle Spiers (2013). Investigation of access channel sedimentation processes and the impact of capital dredging on harbour circulation patterns.
- Flaim, Bryna (2012). Sediment dispersion at the New Auckland Marine Disposal Ground, Northeast New Zealand.
- Guedes, Rafael (2012). Effects of surfzone wave transformation on swash dynamics.
- Tay, Hui Woon (2011). Nutrient dynamics in shallow tidally-dominated estuaries.
- van Maanen, Barend (2011). Modelling the long-term morphological evolution of tidal embayments.
- Tyler, Michael (2018).
- Davies-Campbell, Jaime (2018). Surf-breaks at Aramoana.
- Haughey, Rebekah (2016). Modelling the long term evolution of mangrove intertidal flats in the Firth of Thames.
- Dejeans, Berengere (2016). Hypsometry of New Zealand estuaries.
- Morcom, Christopher (2013). Nitrogen yields into the Tauranga Harbour based on sub-catchment land use.
- Foster, Renee (2012). Shoreline variation and beach rotation of Pauanui Beach.
- Wood, Andrew (2010). Episodic, seasonal and long term morphological changes in Coromandel beaches.
- Eyre, Tracey (2009). The sediment dynamics of Ahuriri Estuary, Napier, New Zealand.
- Gallop, Shari (2009). Rip current dynamics on an embayed beach.
Coastal Zone Management; Environment
Earth Sciences Coastal Processes
Liu, Z. C., de Lange, W. P., & Bryan, K. R. (2019). Estuary rejuvenation in response to sea level rise: an example from Tairua Estuary, New Zealand. Geo-Marine Letters, 12 pages. doi:10.1007/s00367-019-00603-0
Coco, G., & Bryan, K. (2019). New tools for assessing climate change impacts on coastal hazards. Natural Hazards 2018, 20-21. doi:10.21420/KJNM-R522
Cussioli, M. C., Bryan, K. R., Pilditch, C. A., de Lange, W. P., & Bischof, K. (2019). Light penetration in a temperate meso-tidal lagoon: Implications for seagrass growth and dredging in Tauranga Harbour, New Zealand. Ocean and Coastal Management, 174, 25-37. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2019.01.014
Emami, A., Bryan, K. R., & De Lange, W. P. (2019). Spatial Patterns in Groundwater Seepage and Surf Zone Morphology: Muriwai Beach, New Zealand. Journal of Coastal Research, 35(1), 186-195. doi:10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-17-00180.1
View All research publications by Karin Bryan
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4123