Associate Professor Jo Lane
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Otago, PhD Otago
- Atmospheric chemistry: Weakly-bound complexes, photodissociation mechanisms; gas-phase reaction kinetics; simulating vibrational and electronic spectra; nitrous oxide (N2O) chemistry; sulfur chemistry; aerosol formation.
- Non-covalent interactions: Theory development for quantifying the strength of non-covalent interactions; benchmark structures and interaction energies.
- Inorganic and materials chemistry: Gas separation using nanoporous materials e.g. metal organic framework (MOF) materials; crystal engineering; beryllium chemistry; structural characterisation; simulating NMR and IR spectra.
- Biological chemistry and bioactive molecules: Separation chemistry for medicinal cannabis products; mānuka honey chemistry; characterisation of marine bioactives; modified nucleobase base pairs (DNA/RNA).
My research group makes extensive use of the New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI) supercomputers. We use a broad range of computational chemistry programmes, including Q-Chem, MOLPRO, Gaussian, Newton-X, CFOUR, Orca, TURBOMOLE, CPMD, AMBER, CHARMM, NAMD, AutoDock Vina, GOLD. We have also developed our own software for characterizing non-covalent interactions, which is known as Bonder.
New Masters and PhD students are always welcome. Eligible students can apply for scholarships here.
- Farahani, Sara (2019). Theoretical study of electronic absorption spectra and photodissociation dynamics of atmospherically relevant molecules.
- Buckley, Nathaniel (in progress).
- Russell, Ash (in progress).
- Reason, Daniel (2018). Effects of copper toxicity on recruitment of Undaria pinnitifida.
Raymond, O., Bühl, M., Lane, J. R., Henderson, W., Brothers, P. J., & Plieger, P. G. (2020). Ab initio molecular dynamics investigation of beryllium complexes. Inorganic Chemistry, 59(4), 2413-2425. doi:10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b03309
Raymond, O., Henderson, W., Lane, J. R., Brothers, P. J., & Plieger, P. G. (2020). An electrospray ionization mass spectrometric study of beryllium chloride solutions and complexes with crown ether and cryptand macrocyclic ligands. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 16 pages. doi:10.1080/00958972.2020.1718664
Frandsen, B. N., Farahani, S., Vogt, E., Lane, J. R., & Kjaergaard, H. G. (2020). Spectroscopy of OSSO and other sulfur compounds thought to be present in the Venus atmosphere. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 124(35), 7047-7059. doi:10.1021/acs.jpca.0c04388
Lane, J. R., & Saunders, G. C. (2020). Theoretical study of the structures of 4-(2,3,5,6-tetrafluoropyridyl)diphenylphosphine oxide and tris(pentafluorophenyl)phosphine oxide: Why does the crystal structure of (tetrafluoropyridyl)diphenylphosphine oxide have two different P=O bond lengths?. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 25(12), 11 pages. doi:10.3390/molecules25122778
View All research publications by Jo Lane
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 837 9391