Professor Ian D Hogg
Adjunct Professor (School of Science)
Qualifications: B.Sc. Toronto, M.App.Sc. Canberra, Ph.D. Toronto
- Biodiversity of Antarctic invertebrates
- Genetic diversity & conservation of natural populations
- Freshwater and estuarine ecology
- Global climate change & environmental stress
- Barbosa, Vanessa (in progress). Assessing dispersal pathways and connectivity of aquatic insect populations in fragmented landscapes
- Collins, Gemma (in progress). The effects of climate change on the genetic diversity of soil arthropods.
- Gilman, Andrew (in progress). Biodiversity assessment of freshwater benthic macroinvertebrates using next generation DNA sequencing.
- Woods, Steve (2018). The consequences of exotic fish removal on the abundance and diversity of zooplankton.
- Ross, Kathryn (2016). Resistance to African black beetle (Heteronychus arator) in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) infected with AR1 endophyte
- Jones, Tracey (2013). Diversity and population genetic structure of lichens (Buellia frigida and Umbilicaria spp.) in the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Baillie, Brenda (2012).The physical and biological function of wood in New Zealand's forested stream ecosystems.
- Knox, Matthew (2012). Diversity of New Zealand deep- sea amphipoda.
- Ross, Phil (2011). The genetic structure of New Zealand's coastal benthos: using the estuarine clam Austrovenus stutchburyi, to determine rates of gene flow and population connectivity.
- Sutherland, Darin (2006). Phylogeography and ecology of New Zealand freshwater Amphipoda (Paracalliope, Paraleptamphopus, and Phreatogammarus).
- Stevens, Mark (2002). Population genetic structures and dispersal patterns of arthropods in New Zealand and the Ross Dependency Antarctica.
- Ellis, Rosanne (2001). An assessment of endocrine disrupting potential of a New Zealand pulp and paper mill effluent using rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and mosquitofish Gambusia affinis.
- Rohan, Chelve (2018). Effect of nitrogen fertiliser, clover presence and ryegrass cultivar on nematode diversity in New Zealand pasture soils
- Nolan, Liam (2006). Population genetic structure of Antarctic springtails (Collembola) and New Zealand damselflies (Odonata)
- Binks, Nigel (2017). Tracking habitat restoration of New Zealand peat lakes using the diversity of riparian spider assemblages.
- Beet, Clare (2016). Assessing the diversity of Antarctic and New Zealand arthropods through DNA barcoding.
- Riding, Morgan (2016). Assessing dispersal among habitats for three New Zealand aquatic insects using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Doyle, Erin (2016). Assessing the use of molecular techniques to determine terrestrial invertebrate diversity in New Zealand mangroves and detection of blue ducks in New Zealand streams.
- Podmore, Colleen (2016). Assessing mitochondrial DNA (CO1) barcodes for measuring diveristy of Schizaphis spp. and abundance of Aploneura lentisci.
- Collins, Gemma (2015). Genetic diversity and potential responses of New Zealand Rotifera and Antarctic Collembola to environmental changes.
- Watson, Nathan (2014). Assessing the diversity of New Zealand's freshwater copepods (Crustacea: Copepoda) using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Bennett, Kristi (2013). Impacts of Pliocene and Pleistocene glaciations on genetic diversity among New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods.
- Demetras, Nicholas (2010). Phylogeography and genetic diversity of terrestrial arthropods from the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Balvert, Sheree (2006). Limnological characteristics and zooplankton dynamics of a newly filled mine lake.
- Brett, Christie (2006). Testing the effectiveness of the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 (COI) gene locus for identifying species of polychaete worm (Polychaeta: Annelida) in New Zealand.
- Fowler, Elizabeth (2006). Spatio-temporal distribution and diversity of zooplankton in zoo ponds relative to water quality parameters.
- Knox, Matthew (2006). Delineating species and population boundaries in Amphipoda (Crustacea) using mitochondrial DNA sequences.
- McGaughran, Angela (2005). Genetic diversity and phylogeography of New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods
- Lidgard, Craig (2001) Evaluating the population genetic structure of the New Zealand cockle Austrovenus stutchburyi using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Warr, Summer (2001) Temporal variation in macroinvertebrate drift in the Wairoa River estuary, Tauranga Harbour, New Zealand
- Burger, David (2000) Spatial and temporal distribution of zooplankton in the Waikato River.
- Carter, Nicholas (2000) Longitutinal zonation of littoral benthic invertebrates in the Waikato River and their relationship with environmental variables.
- Jenkins, Bevan (2000) Distribution and dispersal of aquatic invertebrates in the Waitomo Stream.
- Smith, Fraser (2000) Combined field and laboratory study evaluating the effects of temperature on the adult sex ratios of Chironomus sp. a and Chironomus zealandicus (Diptera: Insecta).
- Hudson, Quanah (1999) Genetic variation within and among populations of kokako (Callaeas cinerea)
- Willman, Pia (1999) Evaluating the population genetic structure of two endemic New Zealand aquatic insects using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Schnabel, Kareen (1998) Genotypic and phenotypic variation in New Zealand estuarine corophiid amphipods.
- Feutz, Nicki (2017) Mitochondrial DNA (COI) barcoding of the New Zealand bee fauna (Hymenoptera: Apoidea)
Collins, G. E., Hogg, I. D., Baxter, J. R., Maggs‐Kölling, G., & Cowan, D. A. (2019). Ancient landscapes of the Namib Desert harbor high levels of genetic variability and deeply divergent lineages for Collembola. Ecology and Evolution, 9(8), 4969-4979. doi:10.1002/ece3.5103
Lee, C. K., Laughlin, D. C., Bottos, E. M., Caruso, T., Joy, K., Barrett, J. E., . . . Cary, S. C. (2019). Biotic interactions are an unexpected yet critical control on the complexity of an abiotically driven polar ecosystem.. Communications Biology, 2, 62. doi:10.1038/s42003-018-0274-5 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12558
Caruso, T., Hogg, I. D., Nielsen, U. N., Bottos, E. M., Lee, C. K., Hopkins, D. W., . . . Adams, B. J. (2019). Nematodes in a polar desert reveal the relative role of biotic interactions in the coexistence of soil animals. Communications Biology, 2(1). doi:10.1038/s42003-018-0260-y
Baillie, B. R., Hicks, B. J., Hogg, I. D., Van Den Heuvel, M. R., & Kimberley, M. O. (2019). Debris dams as habitat for aquatic invertebrates in forested headwater streams: A large-scale field experiment. Marine and Freshwater Research. doi:10.1071/MF18216
View All research publications by Ian Hogg
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org