Associate Professor Graham Saunders
Qualifications: B.A.(Hons) Oxon, D.Phil Oxon
Personal Website: http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/about-us/people/gsaunder
Research is directed towards using the properties of the carbon―fluorine bond in organometallic chemistry and for highly repellant surfaces.
- Organometallic Chemistry
- The extreme strength and the electronic and steric properties of the C―F bond are used to confer useful properties on organometallic complexes, in particular catalytic activity.
- C―F bond fission is used to synthesize organometallic complexes, not accessible by other routes.
- Superhydrophobic Surfaces
- The extreme water repellancy of perfluoroalkyl groups is used to confer superhydrophobicity on metal surfaces. The work has been highlighted by Nature and Scientific American. The simple fabrication technique allows a range of unusual phenomena to be investigated, such as the Cheerios Effect and 'super-buoyancy', which allows boats to be constructed of metal mesh, and has potential industrial importance.
- Thomas, Hayden (in progress). Synthesis and reactions of metal complexes of fluoroaryl-substituted N-heterocycle carbenes.
- Pachal, Sam (2012). Superhydrophotitanium bic and titanium dioxide.
- Thomas, Hayden (2015). Synthesis and characterisation of mecury and rhodium NHC complexes containing polyfluoroaryl substituents.
- Schroder, Ivan (2012). Synthesis of dicyandiamide derivatives for agricultural applications.
Marr, A. C., Saunders, G. C., Thomas, H. P., & Wang, Y. M. (2019). Orthometallation in iridium N-heterocycle stabilized carbene complexes via carbon–halogen and carbon–hydrogen bond activation induced by silver nanoparticles. Inorganica Chimica Acta, 486, 1-7. doi:10.1016/j.ica.2018.10.016
Thomas, H. P., Marr, A. C., Morgan, P. J., & Saunders, G. C. (2018). Tethering of Pentamethylcyclopentadienyl and N-Heterocycle stabilized carbene ligands by intramolecular 1,4-Addition to a polyfluorophenyl substituent. Organometallics, 37(9), 1339-1341. doi:10.1021/acs.organomet.8b00164
Lorenzini, F., Marr, A. C., Saunders, G. C., & Thomas, H. P. (2018). The structures of 1-(2-halo-6-fluorophenylmethyl)-1-methylimidazolium bromide salts. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 210, 102-111. doi:10.1016/j.jfluchem.2018.03.006
Althagbi, H. I., Evans, D. N., & Saunders, G. C. (2018). The crystal structures of 1-(4-bromo-2,3,5,6-tetrafluorophenyl)-3-benzyl-methylimidazolium bromides. Journal of Molecular Structure, 1171, 755-761. doi:10.1016/j.molstruc.2018.06.073 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12060
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4092