Dr Megan Balks
Senior Lecturer (Earth Sciences)
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Massey PhD Waikato
Soil and environmental science, especially pedology and applied soil physics; Antarctic soils and permafrost; impacts of human activities on the Antarctic terrestrial environment; land treatment and disposal of effluent; irrigation, soil salinity.
Megan Balks is currently Secretary of ANTPAS (the Antarctica and Sub-Antarctic Permafrost, Soils and Periglacial Environments Group.
- Salmanzadeh, Mahdiyeh (in progress). Cadmium accumulation in agricultural soils.
- O'Neill, Tanya (2013). Soil physical impacts and recovery rates following human-induced disturbances in the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.
- McLeod, Malcolm (2012). Soil and permafrost distribution, soil characterisation and soil vulnerability to human foot trampling, Wright Valley, Antarctica.
- Parker, Elizabeth (in progress).
- Singh, Ricky (in progress)
- Sun, Zheng (in progress)
- Noyes, Adrea (2016). Soil recovery on landslides in hill country at Whatawhata Research Station, western Waikato, New Zealand.
- Bagley, Emma (2015). The occurrence and causes of pasture pulling under dairy farming on pumice soils.
- Subbagha, Sylvia (in progress). The fate of fertiliser on peat soils in the Waikato Region.
- Tulagi, Asaeli (2015). Evaluating the potential of historic sheep dips as point sources of trace element and organochlorine pollutants.
- Rau, Johnathon (in progress).
- Laubscher, Nadia (2014). Improvement in soil water availability in pastures by excavating and mixing buried soil horizons from multilayered Pumice Soils (Vitrands) at Galatea, central North Island, New Zealand.
- Arrowsmith, Max (2013). Phosphorus Distribution In Relation To Soil Landscape Groups In Steep North Island Hill Country In New Zealand.
- Goddard, Holly (2013). Investigation of air and soil climate across the latitudinal and altitudinal gradient of the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.
- Scarrow, Joshua (2013). Soil chronosequences and bacterial communities of the Central Transantarctic Mountains, Antarctica .
- Telfer, Erin (2013). Leaching and uptake of nitrogen, and pasture production, associated with irrigation of treated wastewater, Taupō, New Zealand.
- Lewis, Riki (2011). Changes in carbon and nitrogen stocks following conversion of plantation forest to dairy pasture on pumice soils, in the Central North Island.
- Paripovic, Djuro (2011). Impacts of conversion from forestry to pasture on soil physical properties of Vitrands (Pumice Soils) in the Central North Island, New Zealand.
- Treweek, Glen (2011). Nitrogen leaching from effluent irrigated pasture.
- Fazli, Bashirah (2010). Optimising the effectiveness of sediments retention ponds for Waikato soil materials.
- Jobin, Mark (2010). Environmental Assessment of the Effects of Leachate Irrigation and Seepage from the Paokahu Landfill, Gisborne, New Zealand.
- Sonthi, Ramana (2010). Gaseous emissions (NH₃, N₂O and CH₄) following manure or urea application to soil as influenced by amendments.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4109