Professor David Hamilton
BOP Regional Council Chair in Lakes Management & Restoration; Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: B.Sc.Otago, Ph.D Otago
- Modeling of water quality in lakes and reservoirs
- Sediment-water interactions and sediment resuspension in shallow lakes
- Bloom-forming algae, particularly cyanobacteria
- Ice cover in lakes
- Eivers, Rebecca (in progress). Remediation measures to mitigate sediment and nutrient inputs from agricultural catchments to Waikato lakes.
- Ferreira Borges, Hugo (2016). Toxic in crowds : the triggers of toxin production in planktonic cyanobacteria.
- Kpodonu, A.Theo (2016). An integrated ecosystem assessment for water quality management of Lake Okataina.
- McBride, Christopher (in progress). Coupled catchment-lake modelling of shallow, eutrophic lakes in New Zealand and China.
- Me, Wang (in progress). Modelling hydrology and nutrients in the Puarenga catchment, Rotorua.
- Mueller, Hannah (submitted). Impediments to lake restoration by identifying different social, policy and economic drivers that influence the restoration process.
- Muraoka, Kohji (in progress). Spatio-temporal analysis of high frequency and routine physical and biochemical lake data: a global analysis.
- Peters, Monica (2016). Towards a greater public ecology - how can New Zealand lakes restoration initiatives be improved.
- Santoso, Arianto (2016). Organic carbon burial & green house gas roduction from sedimentary organic matter degradation in Waikato's lakes.
- Stewart, Simon (in progress). Interactions between nitrogen cycling and food web dynamics in Lake Taupo, New Zealand.
- Kusabs, Ian (2015). Kōura (Paranephrops planifrons) populations in the Te Arawa lakes: An ecological assessment using the traditional Māori tau kōura harvesting method and recommendations for sustainable management.
- Allan, Mathew (2014). Remote sensing, numerical modelling and ground truthing for analysis of lake water quality and temperature.
- Pingram, Michael (2014). Food webs in the lower Waikato River and the role of hydrogeomorphic complexity.
- Abell, Jonathan (2013). Variability in nutrient loading to lake ecosystems and associated impacts on water quality.
- von Westernhagen, Nina (2010). Measurement and modelling eutrophication in Lake Rotoiti, New Zealand.
- Oezkundakci, Deniz (2010). Management of internal nutrient loads for restoration of eutrophic lakes.
- Trolle, Dennis (2009). Lake restoration from a climate change perspective.
- Burger, David (2006). Benthic-pelagic coupling in Lake Rotorua.
- Ryan, Eloise (2006). Dynamics of phytoplankton communities in North Island lakes, New Zealand.
- Cotterill, Vanessa (in progress). Validation of phycocyanin to monitor cyanobacteria biovolumes in lakes.
- Hodges, Caroline (2016). A validation study of phycocyanin sensors for monitoring cyanobacteria in cultures and field samples.
- Noakes, Katie (submitted). Monitoring and hydrodynamic modelling of groundwater inflows into Lake Rotokakahi, New Zealand.
- Mallett, Ryan (2015). Modelling the efficacy of in-lake and catchment remediation actions for restoration of a small, eutrophic lake.
- Dewes, Alison (2014). Economic resilience and environmental performance of dairy farms in the upper Waikato region.
- Clarke, Dylan (2013). The performance of detainment bunds (DBs) for attenuating phosphorous and sediment loss from pastoral farmland.
- Sharma, Abhilasha (2012). A modelling approach to assist with managing water quality in a catchment subject to rapid urbanisation: Lake Rotokauri, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Dennis, Marie (2011). The role of viral systems in nutrient cycling.
- Kelly, Chrystal (2011). Charophyte response to herbicide and mycoherbicide technologies.
- Simmonds, Bernard (2011). Spatial and temporal trends of phytoplankton and physiochemical variables in a hypertrophic, monomictic lake.
- Zhang, Chenguang Austin (2010). High frequency monitoring and three-dimensional modelling of temporal variations in water quality of Lake Rotorua, New Zealand.
- Butterworth, Joseph (2008). Lake Rotokakahi: The kakahi (Hyridella menziesi) in a general framework of lake health.
- Prentice, Matthew (2008). Temporal and spatial variations of cyanobacteria in Karori Reservoir, Wellington.
- Paul, Wendy (2006). The effect of environmental factors on nitrogen cycling in Lake Okaro.
- Baldwin, Amanda (2009). Dynamics of negatively and positively buoyant phytoplankton in deep lakes.
Burford, M. A., Carey, C. C., Hamilton, D. P., Huisman, J., Paerl, H. W., Wood, S. A., & Wulff, A. (2019). Perspective: Advancing the research agenda for improving understanding of cyanobacteria in a future of global change. Harmful Algae, 13 pages. doi:10.1016/j.hal.2019.04.004
Abell, J. M., Özkundakci, D., Hamilton, D. P., Van Dam-Bates, P., & McDowell, R. W. (2019). Quantifying the Extent of Anthropogenic Eutrophication of Lakes at a National Scale in New Zealand. Environmental Science and Technology, 53(16), 9439-9452. doi:10.1021/acs.est.9b03120
Frassl, M. A., Abell, J. M., Botelho, D. A., Cinque, K., Gibbes, B. R., Jöhnk, K. D., . . . Hamilton, D. P. (2019). A short review of contemporary developments in aquatic ecosystem modelling of lakes and reservoirs. Environmental Modelling and Software, 117, 181-187. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2019.03.024
Puddick, J., Goodwin, E. O., Hawes, I., Hamilton, D. P., & Wood, S. A. (2019). In situ collection and preservation of intact microcystis colonies to assess population diversity and microcystin quotas. Toxins, 11(8), 9 pages. doi:10.3390/toxins11080435
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 858 5046