Dr Adrian Pittari
Senior Lecturer in Volcanology
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Melbourne, PhD Monash
Dr. Adrian Pittari joined the staff in the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences in September 2007. His research is focused on physical volcanological and related volcaniclastic sedimentation processes in both modern and ancient deposits. Current research interests include: monogenetic volcanoes, caldera dynamics, explosive conduit-vent processes, ignimbrite emplacement processes, kimberlite volcanology, and volcaniclastic deposits in sedimentary successions.
- McLeod, Oliver (in progress). Volcanology of the Alexandra Volcanic Group, North Island, New Zealand.
- Yousefzadeh, Elham (in progress). Giant pyroclastic flows: the physics of an extreme natural hazard.
- Cook, Elizabeth (2016). Felsic volcanism in the eastern Waihi area: Process origins of the Corbett and Ratarua ignimbrites and the Hikurangi Rhyolite.
- Loame, Remedy (2016). Using a tephrostratigraphic framework to determine the past 40,000 years of fault rupture and paleohydrothermal activity on the east strand of the Whirinaki Fault, Ngakuru Graben, central Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Bodger, Billy (2016). Andesite volcanic facies and hydrothermal alteration in the subsurface peripheral to existing Waihi mine workings (co-supervisor Shaun Barker).
- Mullane, Kevin (2016). Geophysical characterisation of the Onewhero and Kellyville Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Simons, Benjamin (2014). Volcanic history and eruption processes of Blue Lake Crater, Tongariro.
- Julian, Hannah (2016). Deposit characteristics and eruption processes of the Owharoa ignimbrite, Waihi caldera.
- Prentice, Marlena (in progress).
- Brink, Megan (2012). Emplacement processes of ignimbrites in the Ongatiti Valley, southeast Te Kuiti.
- Taylor, Simon (2012). Volcanology of the Raventhorpe and Pokeno West Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vincent, Kirsty (2012). U-Pb dating of silicic volcanic rocks of the Eastern Coromandel Peninsula.
- Gibson, April (2012). Volcanology of tuff rings at Kellyville, Onewhero and Bombay, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vestman Andersen, Linda (2011). A comparison of buried andesites at Ngatamariki and Rotokawa geothermal fields, Taupo.
- Matheson, Maree (2015). Eruptions dynamics and hydrological implications of Basaltic Volcanic Centres at Lake Taupo.
Loame, R. C., Villamor, P., Lowe, D. J., Milicich, S. D., Pittari, A., Barker, S. L. L., . . . Ries, W. F. (2019). Using paleoseismology and tephrochronology to reconstruct fault rupturing and hydrothermal activity since c. 40 ka in Taupo Rift, New Zealand. Quaternary International, 500. doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2019.02.031
Yousefzadeh, E., Pittari, A., Lowe, D. J., & Fox, B. R. S. (2018). Paleotopography and internal facies variation of the 1.2 Ma Ongatiti Ignimbrite (New Zealand): dispersal of a giant pyroclastic flow over a variable landscape. In The 36th National and the 3rd International Geosciences Congress. Conference held in Tehran-Iran.
Loame, R., Lowe, D. J., Pittari, A., Davies, S. M., Magill, C. R., Vandergoes, M. J., . . . Ross, N. (2018). Using CT scanning for reconnaissance and detection of cryptotephras in ~22,000-yr-old lake sediments, central Waikato region, New Zealand. In Crossing New Frontiers: INTAV International Field Conference on Tephrochronology, ‘Tephra Hunt in Transylvania’. Conference held in Moieciu de Sus, Romania.
Loame, R. C., Lowe, D. J., Johnston, R. E., Evans, E., Pittari, A., Moon, V. G., . . . Ross, N. (2018). CT and micro-CT scanning of liquefied tephra deposits in ~22,000-year-old lake sediments, central Waikato region, New Zealand, and implications. In Crossing New Frontiers: INTAV International Field Conference on Tephrochronology, ‘Tephra Hunt in Transylvania’. Conference held in Moieciu de Sus, Romania.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4191