Dr Adrian Pittari
Senior Lecturer in Volcanology
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Melbourne, PhD Monash
Dr. Adrian Pittari joined the staff in the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences in September 2007. His research is focused on physical volcanological and related volcaniclastic sedimentation processes in both modern and ancient deposits. Current research interests include: monogenetic volcanoes, caldera dynamics, explosive conduit-vent processes, ignimbrite emplacement processes, kimberlite volcanology, and volcaniclastic deposits in sedimentary successions.
- McLeod, Oliver (in progress). Volcanology of the Alexandra Volcanic Group, North Island, New Zealand.
- Yousefzadeh, Elham (in progress). Giant pyroclastic flows: the physics of an extreme natural hazard.
- Cook, Elizabeth (2016). Felsic volcanism in the eastern Waihi area: Process origins of the Corbett and Ratarua ignimbrites and the Hikurangi Rhyolite.
- Loame, Remedy (2016). Using a tephrostratigraphic framework to determine the past 40,000 years of fault rupture and paleohydrothermal activity on the east strand of the Whirinaki Fault, Ngakuru Graben, central Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Bodger, Billy (2016). Andesite volcanic facies and hydrothermal alteration in the subsurface peripheral to existing Waihi mine workings (co-supervisor Shaun Barker).
- Mullane, Kevin (2016). Geophysical characterisation of the Onewhero and Kellyville Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Simons, Benjamin (2014). Volcanic history and eruption processes of Blue Lake Crater, Tongariro.
- Julian, Hannah (2016). Deposit characteristics and eruption processes of the Owharoa ignimbrite, Waihi caldera.
- Prentice, Marlena (in progress).
- Brink, Megan (2012). Emplacement processes of ignimbrites in the Ongatiti Valley, southeast Te Kuiti.
- Taylor, Simon (2012). Volcanology of the Raventhorpe and Pokeno West Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vincent, Kirsty (2012). U-Pb dating of silicic volcanic rocks of the Eastern Coromandel Peninsula.
- Gibson, April (2012). Volcanology of tuff rings at Kellyville, Onewhero and Bombay, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vestman Andersen, Linda (2011). A comparison of buried andesites at Ngatamariki and Rotokawa geothermal fields, Taupo.
- Matheson, Maree (2015). Eruptions dynamics and hydrological implications of Basaltic Volcanic Centres at Lake Taupo.
Fox, B., Bates, N., Garrity, F., Murphy, C., Pittari, A., Riesselman, C., & Lee, D. (2019). The Hindon Maar Complex: a high-resolution archive of Mid-Miocene climate variability. In EGU General Assembly 2019. Conference held in Vienna, Austria.
Loame, R. C., Villamor, P., Lowe, D. J., Milicich, S. D., Pittari, A., Barker, S. L. L., . . . Ries, W. F. (2019). Using paleoseismology and tephrochronology to reconstruct fault rupturing and hydrothermal activity since c. 40 ka in Taupo Rift, New Zealand. Quaternary International, 500, 52-70. doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2019.02.031
Yousefzadeh, E., Pittari, A., & Lowe, D. (2018). Evaluation of an ancient and giant pyroclastic flow hazard, 1.2 Ma Ongatiti Ignimbrite (New Zealand). In R. A. Corsaro, M. G. Di Guisseppe, R. Isaia, A. Mormone, & R. Nave (Eds.), Abstracts Volume of the International meeting “Cities on Volcanoes 10”: Millenia of Stratification between Human Life and Volcanoes: strategies for coexistence (pp. 794). Conference held in Napoli, Italy.
McLeod, O., Pittari, A., Brenna, A., Briggs, R., & Lowe, D. (2018). Our landmark: Introducing the Pirongia Volcano as a significant geoheritage site of New Zealand Pleistocene volcanism. In R. A. Corsaro, M. G. Di Guisseppe, R. Isaia, A. Mormone, & R. Nave (Eds.), Abstracts Volume of the International meeting “Cities on Volcanoes 10”: Millenia of Stratification between Human Life and Volcanoes: strategies for coexistence (pp. 500). Conference held in Napoli, Italy.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4191