Dr Chrissie Painting
Qualifications: BSc Hons - Lincoln University, PhD University of Auckland
Personal Website: http://chrissiepainting.com
I’m a behavioural ecologist with a particular interest in what drives diversity in exaggerated animal traits, such as weapons and ornaments. This fits into a central goal of evolutionary biology which is to understand patterns in the variation of animal phenotypes. My research is primarily on arthropods including beetles, harvestmen and spiders, with a strong basis in natural history.
- Connolly, Simon (in progress). Examination of extreme mating behaviours in New Zealand fishing spiders.
- Chapman, Brody (in progress).
Animal Behaviour; Biology; Ecology
Behavioural Ecology; Evolution; Entomology; Sexual Selection
Powell, E. C., Painting, C. J., Hickey, A. J., & Holwell, G. I. (2020). Defining an intrasexual male weapon polymorphism in a New Zealand harvestman (Opiliones: Neopilionidae) using traditional and geometric morphometrics. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 130(2), 395-409. doi:10.1093/biolinnean/blaa040
Harvey, J. A., Heinen, R., Armbrecht, I., Basset, Y., Baxter-Gilbert, J. H., Bezemer, T. M., . . . de Kroon, H. (2020). International scientists formulate a roadmap for insect conservation and recovery. Nature Ecology and Evolution, 4(2), 174-176. doi:10.1038/s41559-019-1079-8
LeGrice, R. J., Tezanos-Pinto, G., de Villemereuil, P., Holwell, G. I., & Painting, C. J. (2019). Directional selection on body size but no apparent survival cost to being large in wild New Zealand giraffe weevils. Evolution, 73(4), 762-776. doi:10.1111/evo.13698
O'Brien, D. M., Boisseau, R. P., Duell, M., McCullough, E., Powell, E. C., Somjee, U., . . . Emlen, D. J. (2019). Muscle mass drives cost in sexually selected arthropod weapons. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 286(1905). doi:10.1098/rspb.2019.1063
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Painting, Dr Chrissie||9639||cpaintin||R.2.20||Ecology, Biodiversity and Animal Behaviour|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room