Dr Tanya O'Neill
Qualifications: BSc, MSc (first class honors) Massey PhD Waikato
I am a recent post-doctorate teacher and researcher and have conducted research in Alaska, the Tibetan Plateau, Vanuatu, PNG, the Chatham Islands, and Antarctica. I've had four trips to Antarctica: two for my PhD on human impacts on the soil environment, one to the Antarctic Peninsula as a field assistant with the Spanish Antarctic Programme, and my first trip, to run a marathon on the continent. When not working, I spend a lot of time outside, cycling, running, scuba-diving, fishing and walking our dog.
I am a Teaching Fellow contributing to a number of Earth and Environmental Science papers including, ERTH234 and ERTH284/ENVP308. I also assist with field trips for ERTH233 and ERTH333.
Soil and environmental science, especially impacts of human activities on the Antarctic terrestrial environment, local and regional scale impacts and rates of soil recovery. I also have interests in the impacts of a warming climate on the temperature sensitivity of Antarctic soil ecosystems, particularly soil respiration.
Pedology, Antarctic soils and environmental impacts.
- O'Neill, T. A., Balks, M. R., & López-Martínez, J. (2014). Ross Island recreational walking tracks: relationships between soil physiochemical properties and track usage. Polar Record. doi:10.1017/S0032247414000400
- O'Neill, T. A., Balks, M., Stevenson, B., Lopez-Martinez, J., Aislabie, J. M., & Rhodes, P. (2013). The short-term effects of surface soil disturbance on soil bacterial community structure at an experimental site near Scott Base, Antarctica. Polar Biology, 36(7), 985-996. doi:10.1007/s00300-013-1322-8
- O'Neill, T. A., Balks, M. R., & Lopez-Martinez, J. (2013). Visual recovery of desert pavement surfaces following impacts from vehicle and foot traffic in the Ross Sea region of Antarctica. Antarctic Science, 25(4), 514-530. doi:10.1017/s0954102012001125
- O'Neill, T. A., Balks, M. R., & Lopez-Martinez, J. (2013). The effectiveness of Environmental Impact Assessments on visitor activity in the Ross Sea Region of Antarctica.. In Lundmark, L, Lemelin, R,Müller, D., D. K. Muller, L. Lundmark, & R. H. Lemelin (Eds.), New Issues in Polar Tourism: Communities, Environments, Politics (pp. 87-110). Springer. doi:10.1007/978-94-007-5884-1_6
- O'Neill, T. A., Balks, M. R., Lopez-Martinez, J., & McWhirter, J. L. (2012). A method for assessing the physical recovery of Antarctic desert pavements following human-induced disturbances: a case study in the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.. Journal of Environmental Management, 112, 415-428. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.08.008
- Hayward, B. W., Kawagata, S., Grenfell, H. R., Sabaa, A. T., & O'Neill, T. A. (2008). The last global extinction in the deep sea. Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, 58, 355-361
- O'Neill, T. A., Hayward, B. W., Kawagata, S., Sabaa, A. T., & Grenfell, H. R. (2007). Pleistocene extinctions of deep-sea benthic foraminifera: The south Atlantic record. Palaeontology, 50(5), 1073-1102. doi:10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00702.x
- Hayward, B. W., Kawagata, S., Grenfell, H. R., Sabaa, A. T., & O'Neill, T. (2007). Last global extinction in the deep sea during the mid-Pleistocene climate transition. Paleoceanography, 22(3), 14 pages. doi:10.1029/2007PA001424
- O'Neill, T. A., & Hayward, B. W. (2004). Benthic foraminiferal record of the Middle Pleistocene climate transition in the South Atlantic Ocean. Geological Society of New Zealand Miscellaneous Publication 117A. p. 78.. Geological Society of New Zealand, Miscellaneous Publication 117A.
- Petrie, Olivia (in progress). Temperature and moisture sensitivity of soil microbes in adjacent irrigated and non-irrigated soils.
Environment; Environmental Impacts
Balks, M. R., & O'Neill, T. A. (2016). Soil and permafrost in the Ross Sea Region of Antarctica: Stable or dynamic?. Cuadernos de Investigacion Geografica, 42(2). doi:10.18172/cig.2923 Open Access version: hdl:10289/10317
Balks, M. R., & O'Neill, T. (2016). Active soil-landscape processes in the Ross Sea Region, Antarctica: two case studies. In F. Günther, & A. Morgenstern (Eds.), XI International Conference On Permafrost – Book of Abstracts (pp. 164-165). Conference held in Potsdam, Germany. Retrieved from http://www.icop2016.org/
López-Martínez, J., Schmid, T., Pelayo, M., Díaz-Puente, J., O'Neill, T., Serrano, E., . . . Balks, M. R. (2016). Characterization of soils related to periglacial processes on Fildes Peninsula and Ardley Island (Antarctic Peninsula region). In F. Günther, & A. Morgenstern (Eds.), XI International Conference On Permafrost – Book of Abstracts (pp. 133). Conference held in Potsdam, Germany. Retrieved from http://www.icop2016.org/
Schmid, T., Lopez-Martinez, J., Guillaso, S., Serrano, E., D'Hondt, O., Koch, M., . . . Maestro, A. (2016). Geomorphological mapping of ice-free areas using polarimetric RADARSAT-2 data on Fildes Peninsula and Ardley Island, Antarctica. Geomorphology, 12 pages. doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2016.09.031 Open Access version: hdl:10289/10933
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 858 5608
Fax: +64 7 856 0115