Professor Louis Schipper
Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD Waikato
Personal Website: http://waiber.com
Louis is an environmental biogeochemist with research interests in long-term changes in soil organic matter, nitrogen cycling with a focus on denitrification and nitrogen immobilisation, impacts of land use change, carbon fluxes and nutrient cycling in agricultural and indigenous ecosystems, including wetlands and soil microbial ecology. He teaches soil science at undergraduate and graduate levels.
We have recently completed a special issue of the journal "Ecological Engineering" focusing on managing denitrification in human dominated ecosystems. The National Science Foundation in the United States put out a press release describing the issue.
Soil Carbon and Nitrogen
23 PhDs and 21 MScs supervised as either chief supervisor or committee member.
PhD (Chief supervisor only)
- Jasmine Robinson (in progress) Stability of newly incorporated carbon soil
- Balvert, Sheree (in progress). Naturally occurring glucosinolate related compounds in animal urine that act as nitrogen process inhibitors.
- Pronger, Jack (in progress). Water use in mixed sward and ryegrass clover pasture systems under dairy grazing.
- Rambags, Femke (in progress). Exploring the use of engineering soil filters/bioreactors for improving the performance of on-site decentralised wastewater management.
- McNally, Samuel (2016). The contribution of roots of different pasture swards to stable soil organic matter.
- Welten, Brendon (2014). Effects of oral administration of dicyandiamide to cattle on nitrogen leaching losses from grazed pastures.
- Mudge, Paul (2012) Changes in d15N in pastoral soils under varying management intensity.
- Lambie, Suzanne (2012). Soil carbon loss under pasture and pine: Responses to urine addition.
- Cameron, Stewart (2011). Manipulation of carbon media, temperature and hydraulic efficiency to increase nitrate removal rate in denitrification beds.
- Warneke, Sören (2011). Microbial processes and nitrate removal in denitrification beds.
- Millar, Jaime (in progress).
- Robinson, Jasmine (2016). Temperature sensitivity of soil respiration.
- Jordan, Olivia (2015). Root biomass under range of pasture swards - implications for soil carbon stocks.
- Carter, Anna (2014). The temperature response of nitrate removal in denitrification beds.
- Norris, Timothy (2014). Detection of differences in soil carbon and nitrogen stocks between dairy and drystock pastures
- Chibnall, Emma (2013). Contribution of dissolved organic carbon leaching to the annual carbon budget of a dairy farm.
- Sturgeon, Catherine (2013). Assessing dissolved organic carbon export from Kopuatai bog, New Zealand.
- Barnett, Alice (2012). Comparison of soil carbon and nitrogen stocks of adjacent dairy and drystock pastures.
- Paripovic, Djuro (2011). Impacts of conversion from forestry to pasture on soil physical properties of Vitrands (Pumice soils) in the Central North Island, New Zealand.
- Treweek, Glen (2011). nitrogen leaching from effluent irrigated pasture
- Wallace, Dirk (2010). Carbon dynamics of a dairy pasture: annual balance and impact of cultivation.
- Long, Lauren (2011). Long term nitrate removal in a denitrification wall.
Kirschbaum, M. U. F., Schipper, L. A., Mudge, P. L., Rutledge, S., Puche, N. J. B., & Campbell, D. I. (2017). The trade-offs between milk production and soil organic carbon storage in dairy systems under different management and environmental factors. Science of the Total Environment, 577, 61-72. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.055
Sparling, G. P., Chibnall, E. J., Pronger, J., Rutledge, S., Wall, A. M., Campbell, D. I., & Schipper, L. A. (2016). Estimates of annual leaching losses of dissolved organic carbon from pastures on Allophanic Soils grazed by dairy cattle, Waikato, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research, 59(1), 32-49. doi:10.1080/00288233.2015.1120222
Pronger, J., Campbell, D. I., Clearwater, M., Rutledge, S., Wall, A., & Schipper, L. (2016). Low spatial and inter-annual variability of evaporation from a
year-round intensively grazed temperate pasture system. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 232, 46-58. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2016.07.011
Arcus, V. L., Prentice, E. J., Hobbs, J. K., Mulholland, A. J., Van der Kamp, M. W., Pudney, C. R., . . . Schipper, L. A. (2016). On the Temperature Dependence of Enzyme-Catalyzed Rates. Biochemistry, 55(12), 1681-1688. doi:10.1021/acs.biochem.5b01094
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4468