Professor Mark Dyer
Dean of the School of Engineering
Qualifications: BEng BSc MA DPhil FICE FTCD CEng
Mark Dyer spent the first nineteen years of his professional career (with the exception of his PhD studies) working on construction projects in Europe, USA, Asia and Africa. The projects ranged from tunneling, deep foundation (Cementation Piling and Studio Geotecnico Italiano), flood defence (Humber Estuary), bioremediation of contaminated land (Rotterdam Botlek, Philips Zwolle, Tilburg, Napoli Siemens) and highways, waste management facilities comprising landfills, tailing dams, sewage treatment facilities (Acer Consulting, MRM Partnership).
Prior to his appointment as Dean of Engineering, he was appointed to chair professorships at Strathclyde University in Glasgow and Trinity College Dublin. He has held visiting research fellowships and professorships at Scoula Supriore Sant Anna (Pisa), University of Sienna, Italy; University of Kyushu, Japan; University of Karsetsat, Bangkok; Institute of Technology Surabya, Indonesia and TNO (The Netherlands). He received Foresight Award from the Royal Academy of Engineering (1996) and the Japanese Society for Promotion of Science Fellowship (2008). He was nominated Fellow of Academy of Urbanism (2011), Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (2011), Trustee of ICE Research Enabling Fund (2006-2009) and most recently editorial panel for ICE Proceedings on Energy (2015).
His research interests cover flood risk management and stability of flood levees as well as the biologically mediated processes in the soil for remediation of organic pollutants and deposition of calcite cement for ground improvement. Most recently his professional experience in the design of urban infrastructures as seen his academic work focus on the role of citizen participation for the adoption of new technologies and decision making for transformation of cities to healthier, more inclusive and energy efficient places. He currently chairs the European wide COST research program on People Friendly Cities in a Data Rich World comprising 100 academic and industry members literally from Iceland to Israel exploring the concept of people friendly cities through better urban design, governance and technology.
- Dyer M, Gleeson R and Grey T. 2017. City Infrastructures. J Sustainable Cities and Society. Elsevier. Special Issue on "The future of urban sustainability: Smart, efficient, green or just?" (submitted)
- Ogmundardottir H and Dyer M. 2017. Ethnographic study of community participation in transition towards a fossil fuel economy at Vaxjo and Sonderborg. ICE Proc Energy (submitted)
- Dyer M and Viganotti M. 2017. Use of nebulisers to deliver cementation liquid in granular soils to form biogrout ICE Proc Ground Improvement (submitted)
- Certoma C., Dyer M. and Corsini F. 2017. Bibliometric analysis of urban governance versus urban design. ICE Proc Urban Design and Planning. (accepted)
- Dyer M and Viganotti M. 2016. Eutrophic and Oligotrophic Treatment Protocols for MICP in Silicate and Carbonate Sands. Journal Bioinspired, Biomimetic and Nanobiomaterials.
- Dyer M, Grey T and Kinnane O. 2016. GiveMe Shelter: A People Centre Design Process for Promoting Independent Inquiry Led Learning in Engineering. European Journal Education in Engineering
- O’Shea E., Dyer M., Pavia S., Craddock G., and Murphy N. 2016. Evaluating the design of empathetic buildings: a review of universal design evaluation methods. Journal Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology. Volume:11 Issue:1 Pages:13-21
- Kinnane, O.P., Dyer, M., and Grey T. 2015. Energy and environmental forensic analysis of public buildings. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, Volume 167, Issue 4,
- Sinnott D and Dyer M. 2014 Dwelling Air Tightness: A socio-technical evaluation in an Irish context. Building Research & Information
- Viganotti M and Dyer M. 2014. Atomised delivery of biogrouting bacteria and reagents for soil improvement applications. Geotechnique Letters.
- Kinnane O, Dyer M, and Treacy C 2013. Analysis of thermal comfort and space heating strategy: Case study of an Irish public building. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies. Volume 22, 2013, Pages 271-280
- Viganotti M, Jackson R., Krahn, H., and Dyer MR. 2013. Geometric and frequency EMI sounding of estuarine earthen flood defence embankments using 1D inversion models for asset structural interpretation. Journal of Applied Geophysics
- Dyer, M.R., Glew N., and Viganotti M. 2012. The use of medical jet nebulisers to deliver bulk liquids in granular soils for engineering purposes: Droplet size measurements for unsaturated conditions. Geotechnique Letters. DOI (10.1680/geolett.12.00002)
- Kinnane, O.P., and Dyer, M. 2012. Energy quantification of the impact of significant thermal bridging: case study of HVAC demands due to a historic wall in an interior space. Smart and Healthy Buildings.
- Siddall E, Grey T and Dyer M, 2012. Indicators and stakeholder engagement: A Dublin case study. ICE Proc on Engineering Sustainability.
- Sinnott, D. and Dyer, M. 2012 Air-tightness field data for dwellings in Ireland, Building and Environment, Vol 51. pp. 269-275
- Viganotti M, Jackson R and Dyer MR. 2012. Multi-frequency electromagnetic geophysics for the rapid risk assessment of earthen flood defence embankments. ICE Proceedings for Water Engineering.
- Siddall E and Dyer M, 2011 Design Persona Field Study of Low Carbon Living. ICE Proc on Engineering Sustainability Vol 164, pp 59-69
- Zielinski M., Sentenac P., McCloskey G., Dyer M. 2010, Desiccation cracking detection using resistivity arrays, ICE proceedings Ground Engineering. GE-D-10-00068
- Bangkedphol, S, Keenan H , Davidson H, Sakultantimetha A, Dyer MR , Songsasen A. 2009 Development and Application of an Analytical Method for the determination of Partition Coefficients of Tributyltin in the Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow, Scotland. Journal ASTM Int
- Dyer MR, Utili S, and Zielinski M 2009. Field study into fine desiccation fissuring at Thorngumbald. ICE Proc Water Management. Vol 167 Issue 3 pp 221-232
- Nerzantis, P and Dyer M. 2009. Transport of BTEX Vapours through Granular Soils with Different Moisture Contents in the Vadose Zone. Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering.
- Sakultantimetha A ,Keenan H, Dyer M, Beattie T , Bangkedphol S, Songsasen S. 2009. Isolation of TBT-degrading bacteria Citrobacter braakii and Enterobacter cloacae from butyltins polluted sediment. Journal ASTM Int
- Redaelli M and Dyer MR 2008, Discussion: A methodology for regional-scale flood risk assessment, ICE Proc Water Management WATER-D-08-00084.
- Keenan HE, Sakultantimetha A, Bangkedphol S, Songsasen A and Dyer MR. 2007. The Ecological Complexity of the Thai:Laos Mekong River: Part 2, Metals and Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) Monitoring, Modelling and Environmental Fate. Journal of Ecological Complexity.
- Udomchoke V, Sunthornranun P, Homchan U, Jiwapornkupt P, Lauhachinda N, Gaines AF, Booth PH, Keenan HE and Dyer MR. 2007. The Ecological Complexity of the Thai-Laos Mekong River: Part 1, Geomorphology, Climate and Water Quality. Journal of Ecological Complexity.
- Dyer M. 2006. Optical tests on the slow release of biogenic gas bubbles in sediments. Journal ASTM Int. May Vol 3(4), paper JAI13316.
- Dyer MR, Marnette E, Schuren C, van de Brink K and van Loon A, 2006 Full-scale stimulation of reductive dechlorination using the LINER technique. Journal of Engineering Geology Vol 85, pp 39-45.
- Keenan HE, Dyer M, Songsasen A, Bangkedphol S and Homchan U. 2006. Environmental monitoring of sediment pollution along the Thai: Laos Mekong. Journal ASTM Int. May Vol 3(7) Paper JAI13374..
- Dyer MR 2004. Performance of flood embankments in England and Wales. ICE Proc Water Management Vol 157. pp 177-186.
- Dyer MR 2004. The role of wettability in the distribution of hydrophobic contaminants in unsaturated coarse-grained soils. Geotechnique Discussion Note, Symposium in Print on Unsaturated Soil.
- Dyer MR 2003. Field investigation into biodegradation of TCE and BTEX at a former metal plating works. Journal of Engineering Geology Vol 70. pp 321-329.
- Dyer MR, van Heiningen E and Gerritse J. 2003. A field trial for in-situ bioremediation of 1,2-DCA. Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol 70, pp 315-320.
- Dyer MR, van Zutphen M, and Hetterschijt R 2001 Improved site characterisation of contaminated land using pump-and-treat data. Institution of Civil engineering Proceedings: Geotechnical Engineering Issue 3, pp 159-166. Paper No 11892.
- Dyer MR, van Heiningen E and Gerritse J 2000 In-situ bioremediation of 1,2-dichloroethane under anaerobic conditions. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol 18, pp 313-334.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 837 9541