Associate Professor Karin Bryan
Associate Professor (Coastal Marine Group and Earth sciences research area)
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Toronto, PhD Dalhousie
I conduct research under 4 themes that are related in their aim of understanding the dynamics of sediments and nutrients in the coastal environments, and how these contribute to controlling state changes in the physical environments. These themes are (1) dynamics of the swash and surfzone; (2) beach morphodynamics; (3) nutrient dynamics in estuaries; (4) tidal inlet and estuarine morphodynamics.
- Stewart, Benjamin (in progress). Investigating groundwater derived dissolved inorganic nitrogen fluxes with Tauranga Harbour.
- Atkin, Ed (in progress). The influence of sediment dynamics around an ebb tidal delta on the quality of surfing waves.
- Coppede Cussioli, Mariana (in progress). Turbidity variations in and around the Port of Tauranga.
- Godoi, Victor (in progress). The relationship between wave climate, storm wave events and atmospheric oscillation modes around New Zealand.
- Walker, Justin (in progress). Decadal teleconnection controls on marine spit evolution and inlet morphodynamics in North Island, New Zealand.
- Hunt, Stephen (2016). The control of wind and waves on sediment transport and the long-term morphological development of estuaries.
- Port, Alexander (2016). Estuary-shelf nutrient exchange controls on interannual patterns in estuarine Ulva dynamics.
- Emani, Amir (2016). Seepage line influence on the beach face volume at Murawai Beach.
- Harrison, Shawn (2015). Morphodynamics of Ebb-tidal Deltas.
- Kyle Spiers (2013). Investigation of access channel sedimentation processes and the impact of capital dredging on harbour circulation patterns.
- Flaim, Bryna (2012). Sediment dispersion at the New Auckland Marine Disposal Ground, Northeast New Zealand.
- Guedes, Rafael (2012). Effects of surfzone wave transformation on swash dynamics.
- Tay, Hui Woon (2011). Nutrient dynamics in shallow tidally-dominated estuaries.
- van Maanen, Barend (2011). Modelling the long-term morphological evolution of tidal embayments.
- Davies-Campbell, Jaime (in progress).
- Tyler, Michael (in progress).
- Haughey, Rebekah (in progress). Modelling the long term evolution of mangrove intertidal flats in the Firth of Thames.
- Dejeans, Berengere (2016). Hypsometry of New Zealand estuaries.
- Morcom, Christopher (2013). Nitrogen yields into the Tauranga Harbour based on sub-catchment land use.
- Foster, Renee (2012). Shoreline variation and beach rotation of Pauanui Beach.
- Wood, Andrew (2010). Episodic, seasonal and long term morphological changes in Coromandel beaches.
- Eyre, Tracey (2009). The sediment dynamics of Ahuriri Estuary, Napier, New Zealand.
- Gallop, Shari (2009). Rip current dynamics on an embayed beach.
Coastal Zone Management; Environment
Earth Sciences Coastal Processes
Kulgemeyer, T., Müller, H., Dobeneck, T. V., Bryan, K. R., de Lange, W. P., & Battershill, C. N. (2017). Magnetic mineral and sediment porosity distribution on a storm-dominated shelf investigated by benthic electromagnetic profiling (Bay of Plenty, New Zealand). Marine Geology, 383, 78-98. doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2016.11.014
Hunt, S., Bryan, K. R., & Mullarney, J. C. (2017). The effect of wind waves on spring-neap variations in sediment transport in two meso-tidal estuarine basins with contrasting fetch. Geomorphology, 280(1 March 2017), 76-88. doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2016.12.007
Blossier, B., Bryan, K. R., Daly, C. J., & Winter, C. (2016). Nearshore sandbar rotation at single-barred embayed beaches. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 121(4), 2286-2313. doi:10.1002/2015JC011031
Jones, H. F. E., Pilditch, C. A., Hamilton, D. P., & Bryan, K. R. (2016). Impacts of a bivalve mass mortality event on an estuarine food web and bivalve grazing pressure. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 23 pages. doi:10.1080/00288330.2016.1245200
View All research publications by Karin Bryan
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4123