Associate Professor Ian Hogg
Associate Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: B.Sc. Toronto, M.App.Sc. Canberra, Ph.D. Toronto
- Biodiversity of Antarctic invertebrates
- Genetic diversity & conservation of natural populations
- Freshwater and estuarine ecology
- Global climate change & environmental stress
- Collins, Gemma (in progress). The impact of climate change on the genetic diversity of soil arthropods.
- Gilman, Andrew (in progress). Biodiversity assessment of freshwater benthic macroinvertebrates using next generation DNA sequencing.
- Woods, Steve (in progress). The consequences of exotic fish removal on the abundance and diversity of zooplankton.
- Ross, Kathryn (2016). Resistance to African black beetle (Heteronychus arator) in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) infected with AR1 endophyte
- Jones, Tracey (2013). Diversity and population genetic structure of lichens (Buellia frigida and Umbilicaria spp.) in the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Baillie, Brenda (2012).The physical and biological function of wood in New Zealand's forested stream ecosystems.
- Knox, Matthew (2012). Diversity of New Zealand deep- sea amphipoda.
- Ross, Phil (2011). The genetic structure of New Zealand's coastal benthos: using the estuarine clam Austrovenus stutchburyi, to determine rates of gene flow and population connectivity.
- Sutherland, Darin (2006). Phylogeography and ecology of New Zealand freshwater Amphipoda (Paracalliope, Paraleptamphopus, and Phreatogammarus).
- Stevens, Mark (2002). Population genetic structures and dispersal patterns of arthropods in New Zealand and the Ross Dependency Antarctica.
- Ellis, Rosanne (2001). An assessment of endocrine disrupting potential of a New Zealand pulp and paper mill effluent using rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and mosquitofish Gambusia affinis.
- Rohan, Chelve (in progress). Effect of Nitrogen fertiliser, clover presence and ryegrass cultivar on nematode diversity in New Zealand pasture soils
- Nolan, Liam (2006). Population genetic structure of Antarctic springtails (Collembola) and New Zealand damselflies (Odonata)
- Binks, Nigel (in progress). Tracking habitat restoration of New Zealand peat lakes using the diversity of riparian spider assemblages.
- Beet, Clare (submitted). Assessing the Mackay Glacier, Ross Dependency, as an ecotone for tracking ecosystem responses to climate change in Antarctica.
- Riding, Morgan (submitted). Invertebrate dispersal among restored streams in the North Island, New Zealand.
- Doyle, Erin (2016). Assessing the use of molecular techniques to determine terrestrial invertebrate diversity in New Zealand mangroves and detection of blue ducks in New Zealand streams.
- Podmore, Colleen (2016). Assessing mitochondrial DNA (CO1) barcodes for measuring diveristy of Schizaphis spp. and abundance of Aploneura lentisci.
- Collins, Gemma (2015). Genetic diversity and potential responses of New Zealand Rotifera and Antarctic Collembola to environmental changes.
- Watson, Nathan (2014). Assessing the diversity of New Zealand's freshwater copepods (Crustacea: Copepoda) using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Bennett, Kristi (2013). Impacts of Pliocene and Pleistocene glaciations on genetic diversity among New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods.
- Demetras, Nicholas (2010). Phylogeography and genetic diversity of terrestrial arthropods from the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Balvert, Sheree (2006). Limnological characteristics and zooplankton dynamics of a newly filled mine lake.
- Brett, Christie (2006). Testing the effectiveness of the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 (COI) gene locus for identifying species of polychaete worm (Polychaeta: Annelida) in New Zealand.
- Fowler, Elizabeth (2006). Spatio-temporal distribution and diversity of zooplankton in zoo ponds relative to water quality parameters.
- Knox, Matthew (2006). Delineating species and population boundaries in Amphipoda (Crustacea) using mitochondrial DNA sequences.
- McGaughran, Angela (2005). Genetic diversity and phylogeography of New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods
- Lidgard, Craig (2001) Evaluating the population genetic structure of the New Zealand cockle Austrovenus stutchburyi using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Warr, Summer (2001) Temporal variation in macroinvertebrate drift in the Wairoa River estuary, Tauranga Harbour, New Zealand
- Burger, David (2000) Spatial and temporal distribution of zooplankton in the Waikato River.
- Carter, Nicholas (2000) Longitutinal zonation of littoral benthic invertebrates in the Waikato River and their relationship with environmental variables.
- Jenkins, Bevan (2000) Distribution and dispersal of aquatic invertebrates in the Waitomo Stream.
- Smith, Fraser (2000) Combined field and laboratory study evaluating the effects of temperature on the adult sex ratios of Chironomus sp. a and Chironomus zealandicus (Diptera: Insecta).
- Hudson, Quanah (1999) Genetic variation within and among populations of kokako (Callaeas cinerea)
- Willman, Pia (1999) Evaluating the population genetic structure of two endemic New Zealand aquatic insects using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Schnabel, Kareen (1998) Genotypic and phenotypic variation in New Zealand estuarine corophiid amphipods.
- Feutz, Nicki (in progress)
Collins, G. E., & Hogg, I. D. P. (2016). Temperature-related activity of Gomphiocephalus hodgsoni (Collembola) mitochondrial DNA (COI) haplotypes in Taylor Valley, Antarctica. Polar Biology, 39(2), 379-389. doi:10.1007/s00300-015-1788-7
Montemezzani, V., Duggan, I. C., Hogg, I. D. P., & Craggs, R. J. (2016). Zooplankton community influence on seasonal performance and microalgal dominance in wastwater treatment High Rate Algal Ponds. Algal Research, 17, 168-184. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2016.04.014
Banks, J. C., Demetras, N. J., Hogg, I. D., Knox, M. A., & West, D. W. (2016). Monitoring brown trout (Salmo trutta) eradication in a wildlife sanctuary using environmental DNA. New Zealand Natural Sciences, 41, 13 pages. Open Access version: hdl:10289/10302
Zhou, X., Frandsen, P. B., Holzenthal, R. W., Beet, C. R., Bennett, K. R., Blahnik, R. J., . . . Cocks, G. V. (2016). [Accepted] The Trichoptera barcode initiative: A strategy for generating a species-level Tree of Life. Philosophical Transactions B, (article in press), 11 pages.
View All research publications by Ian Hogg
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4139