Professor Ian D Hogg
Adjunct Professor (School of Science)
Qualifications: B.Sc. Toronto, M.App.Sc. Canberra, Ph.D. Toronto
- Biodiversity of Antarctic invertebrates
- Genetic diversity & conservation of natural populations
- Freshwater and estuarine ecology
- Global climate change & environmental stress
- Collins, Gemma (in progress). The effects of climate change on the genetic diversity of soil arthropods.
- Gilman, Andrew (in progress). Biodiversity assessment of freshwater benthic macroinvertebrates using next generation DNA sequencing.
- Woods, Steve (in progress). The consequences of exotic fish removal on the abundance and diversity of zooplankton.
- Ross, Kathryn (2016). Resistance to African black beetle (Heteronychus arator) in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) infected with AR1 endophyte
- Jones, Tracey (2013). Diversity and population genetic structure of lichens (Buellia frigida and Umbilicaria spp.) in the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Baillie, Brenda (2012).The physical and biological function of wood in New Zealand's forested stream ecosystems.
- Knox, Matthew (2012). Diversity of New Zealand deep- sea amphipoda.
- Ross, Phil (2011). The genetic structure of New Zealand's coastal benthos: using the estuarine clam Austrovenus stutchburyi, to determine rates of gene flow and population connectivity.
- Sutherland, Darin (2006). Phylogeography and ecology of New Zealand freshwater Amphipoda (Paracalliope, Paraleptamphopus, and Phreatogammarus).
- Stevens, Mark (2002). Population genetic structures and dispersal patterns of arthropods in New Zealand and the Ross Dependency Antarctica.
- Ellis, Rosanne (2001). An assessment of endocrine disrupting potential of a New Zealand pulp and paper mill effluent using rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and mosquitofish Gambusia affinis.
- Rohan, Chelve (in progress). Effect of Nitrogen fertiliser, clover presence and ryegrass cultivar on nematode diversity in New Zealand pasture soils
- Nolan, Liam (2006). Population genetic structure of Antarctic springtails (Collembola) and New Zealand damselflies (Odonata)
- Binks, Nigel (in progress). Tracking habitat restoration of New Zealand peat lakes using the diversity of riparian spider assemblages.
- Beet, Clare (2016). Assessing the diversity of Antarctic and New Zealand arthropods through DNA barcoding.
- Riding, Morgan (2016). Assessing dispersal among habitats for three New Zealand aquatic insects using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Doyle, Erin (2016). Assessing the use of molecular techniques to determine terrestrial invertebrate diversity in New Zealand mangroves and detection of blue ducks in New Zealand streams.
- Podmore, Colleen (2016). Assessing mitochondrial DNA (CO1) barcodes for measuring diveristy of Schizaphis spp. and abundance of Aploneura lentisci.
- Collins, Gemma (2015). Genetic diversity and potential responses of New Zealand Rotifera and Antarctic Collembola to environmental changes.
- Watson, Nathan (2014). Assessing the diversity of New Zealand's freshwater copepods (Crustacea: Copepoda) using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Bennett, Kristi (2013). Impacts of Pliocene and Pleistocene glaciations on genetic diversity among New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods.
- Demetras, Nicholas (2010). Phylogeography and genetic diversity of terrestrial arthropods from the Ross Dependency, Antarctica.
- Balvert, Sheree (2006). Limnological characteristics and zooplankton dynamics of a newly filled mine lake.
- Brett, Christie (2006). Testing the effectiveness of the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 (COI) gene locus for identifying species of polychaete worm (Polychaeta: Annelida) in New Zealand.
- Fowler, Elizabeth (2006). Spatio-temporal distribution and diversity of zooplankton in zoo ponds relative to water quality parameters.
- Knox, Matthew (2006). Delineating species and population boundaries in Amphipoda (Crustacea) using mitochondrial DNA sequences.
- McGaughran, Angela (2005). Genetic diversity and phylogeography of New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods
- Lidgard, Craig (2001) Evaluating the population genetic structure of the New Zealand cockle Austrovenus stutchburyi using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Warr, Summer (2001) Temporal variation in macroinvertebrate drift in the Wairoa River estuary, Tauranga Harbour, New Zealand
- Burger, David (2000) Spatial and temporal distribution of zooplankton in the Waikato River.
- Carter, Nicholas (2000) Longitutinal zonation of littoral benthic invertebrates in the Waikato River and their relationship with environmental variables.
- Jenkins, Bevan (2000) Distribution and dispersal of aquatic invertebrates in the Waitomo Stream.
- Smith, Fraser (2000) Combined field and laboratory study evaluating the effects of temperature on the adult sex ratios of Chironomus sp. a and Chironomus zealandicus (Diptera: Insecta).
- Hudson, Quanah (1999) Genetic variation within and among populations of kokako (Callaeas cinerea)
- Willman, Pia (1999) Evaluating the population genetic structure of two endemic New Zealand aquatic insects using allozyme electrophoresis.
- Schnabel, Kareen (1998) Genotypic and phenotypic variation in New Zealand estuarine corophiid amphipods.
- Feutz, Nicki (2017) Mitochondrial DNA (COI) barcoding of the New Zealand bee fauna (Hymenoptera: Apoidea)
Adriaenssens, E. M., Kramer, R., Van Goethem, M. W., Makhalanyane, T. P., Hogg, I. D. P., & Cowan, D. A. (2017). Environmental drivers of viral community composition in Antarctic soils identified by viromics. Microbiome, 5(83), 14 pages. doi:10.1186/s40168-017-0301-7 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11468
Branford, S., Duggan, I., Hogg, I., & Brandorff, G. -O. (2017). Mitochondrial DNA indicates different North American east coast origins for New Zealand and German invasions of Skistodiaptomus pallidus (Copepoda: Calanoida). Aquatic Invasions, 12(2), 167-175. doi:10.3391/ai.2017.12.2.05 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11294
Montemezzani, V., Duggan, I. C., Hogg, I. D., & Craggs, R. J. (2017). Assessment of potential zooplankton control treatments for wastewater treatment High Rate Algal Ponds. Algal Research, 24, 40-63. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2017.03.013
Montemezzani, V., Duggan, I. C., Hogg, I. D., & Craggs, R. J. (2017). Screening of potential zooplankton control technologies for wastewater treatment High Rate Algal Ponds. Algal Research, 22, 1-13. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2016.11.022
View All research publications by Ian Hogg
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org