Associate Professor Ian Hogg
Associate Professor (Biological Sciences)
Qualifications: B.Sc. Toronto, M.App.Sc. Canberra, Ph.D. Toronto
- Biodiversity of Antarctic invertebrates
- Genetic diversity & conservation of natural populations
- Freshwater and estuarine ecology
- Global climate change & environmental stress
- Collins, Gemma (in progress). The impact of climate change on the genetic diversity of soil arthropods.
- Gilman, Andrew (in progress). Biodiversity assessment of freshwater benthic macroinvertebrates using next generation DNA sequencing.
- Woods, Steve (in progress). The consequences of exotic fish reoval on the abundance and diversity of zooplankton.
- Ross, Kathryn (submitted).
- Knox, Matthew (2012). Diversity of New Zealand deep- sea amphipoda.
- Ross, Phil (2012). Population connectivity and diversity of bivalves in New Zealand estuaries.
- Tracey Jones (2013). Diversity and population genetic structure of lichens (Buellia frigida and Umbilicaria spp.) in the Ross Dependency, Antarctica. (recipient of an Antarctica New Zealand Scholarship)
- Brenda Baillie (2012).The effects of large woody debris on the ecology of stream ecosystems: a large-scale field manipulation
- Darin Sutherland (2006). Phylogeography and ecology of New Zealand freshwater Amphipoda (Paracalliope, Paraleptamphopus, and Phreatogammarus). (currently Regional Scientist, New Zealand Department of Conservation) [pictured below]
- Stevens, Mark I (2002). Population genetic structures and dispersal patterns of arthropods in New Zealand and the Ross Dependency Antarctica.(Recently appointed as a Curator of Entomology at the South Australia Museum)
- Ellis, Rosanne J (2001). An assessment of endocrine disrupting potential of a New Zealand pulp and paper mill effluent using rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and mosquitofish Gambusia affinis (Following graduation was a Research Scientist at the New Zealand Forest Research Institute – now SCION)
- Chelve Rohan (in progress). Effect of Nitrogen fertiliser, clover presence and ryegrass cultivar on nematode diversity in New Zealand pasture soils
- Liam Nolan (2006). Population genetic structure of Antarctic springtails (Collembola) and New Zealand damselflies (Odonata)
- Clare Beet (in progress)
- Morgan Riding (in progress)
- Gemma Collins (2015). The effect of environmental temperature changes on the genetic diversity of Antarctic springtails
- Erin Doyle (2015). Assessing the diversity of terrestrial invertebrates in new Zealand's mangrove forests
- Colleen Podmore (2015).
- Nathan Watson (2014). Assessing the diversity of New Zealand's freshwater copepods (Crustacea: Copepoda) using mitochondrial DNA (COI) sequences.
- Kristi Bennett (2013). DNA barcoding of New Zealand caddisflies (Trichoptera)
- Nicholas Demetras (2010). Fine scale genetic diversity among Collembola and Nematoda in the Ross Dependency, Antarctica
- Sheree Balvert (2006). Limnological characteristics and zooplankton dynamics of a newly filled mine lake. (currently, Scientist, AgResearch, New Zealand)
- Christie Brett (2006). Testing the effectiveness of the mitochondrial DNA cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 (COI) gene locus for identifying species of polychaete worm (Polychaeta: Annelida) in New Zealand. (Following graduation was a marine interpreter in Dunedin)
- Fowler, Elizabeth (2006). Spatio-temporal distribution and diversity of zooplankton in zoo ponds relative to water quality parameters. (Currently Research Associate, University of Waikato)
- Knox, Matthew (2006). Delineating species and population boundaries in Amphipoda (Crustacea) using mitochondrial DNA sequences. (Currently PhD candidate, University of Waikato)
- McGaughran, Angela (2005). Genetic diversity and phylogeography of New Zealand and Antarctic arthropods (Recipient of an Antarctica New Zealand Scholarship and currently PhD student, Massey University)
Freshwater ecology; the consequences of environmental change for aquatic invertebrates; developing strategies for the conservation and protection of natural populations.
Telfer, A., Young, M., Quinn, J., Perez, K., Sobel, C., Sones, J., . . . Rougerie, R. (2015). Biodiversity inventories in high gear: DNA barcoding facilitates a rapid biotic survey of a temperate nature reserve. Biodiversity Data Journal, 3, e6313. doi:10.3897/BDJ.3.e6313
Beet, C., & Hogg, I. D. P. (2015). Barcoding Antarctic springtails. Barcode Bulletin, 6(3), 17-18.
Montemezzani, V., Duggan, I. C., Hogg, I. D., & Craggs, R. J. (2015). A review of potential methods for zooplankton control in wastewater treatment High Rate Algal Ponds and algal production raceways. Algal Research, 11. doi:10.1016/j.algal.2015.06.024
Watson, N. T. N., Duggan, I. C., & Hogg, I. D. (2015). Assessing the diversity of New Zealand freshwater harpacticoid copepods (Crustacea: Copepoda) using mitochondrial DNA (COI) barcodes. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 42(2), 57-67. doi:10.1080/03014223.2015.1011592
View All research publications by Ian Hogg
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4139