Associate Professor Graham Saunders
Graduate Coordinator (Chemistry); Associate Professor (Inorganic Chemistry)
Qualifications: B.A.(Hons) Oxon, D.Phil Oxon
Research is directed towards using the properties of the carbon―fluorine bond in organometallic chemistry and for highly repellant surfaces.
- Organometallic Chemistry
- The extreme strength and the electronic and steric properties of the C―F bond are used to confer useful properties on organometallic complexes, in particular catalytic activity.
- C―F bond fission is used to synthesize organometallic complexes, not accessible by other routes.
- Superhydrophobic Surfaces
- The extreme water repellancy of perfluoroalkyl groups is used to confer superhydrophobicity on metal surfaces. The work has been highlighted by Nature and Scientific American. The simple fabrication technique allows a range of unusual phenomena to be investigated, such as the Cheerios Effect and 'super-buoyancy', which allows boats to be constructed of metal mesh, and has potential industrial importance.
- Thomas, Hayden (in progress). Synthesis and reactions of metal complexes of fluoroaryl-substituted N-heterocycle carbenes.
- Pachal, Sam (2012). Superhydrophotitanium bic and titanium dioxide.
- Thomas, Hayden (2015). Synthesis and characterisation of mecury and rhodium NHC complexes containing polyfluoroaryl substituents.
- Schroder, Ivan (2012). Synthesis of dicyandiamide derivatives for agricultural applications.
Oosterwijk, M. A., Saunders, G. C., & Zou, W. (2016). Polyfluoroarene–arene π–π stacking in three directions to provide crystal polarity. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 188, 80-84. doi:10.1016/j.jfluchem.2016.06.015
Althagbi, H. I., Edwards, A. J., Nicholson, B. K., Reason, D. A., Saunders, G. C., Sim, S. A., & van der Heijden, D. A. (2016). Arene-Perfluoroarene-Anion Stacking and Hydrogen Bonding
Interactions in Imidazolium Salts for the Crystal Engineering of
Polarity. Crystal Growth and Design, 16(1), 174-188. doi:10.1021/acs.cgd.5b01077
Sim, S. A., Saunders, G. C., Lane, J. R., & Henderson, W. (2016). Synthesis and characterisation of organo-platinum(II) complexes of the N,O-donor ligands hippuric acid (N-benzoylglycine) and N-phenylanthranilic acid. Inorganica Chimica Acta, 450((in progress)), 285-292. doi:10.1016/j.ica.2016.05.053
Harrison, J. A., Nielson, A. J., Sajjad, M. A., Saunders, G. C., & Schwerdtfeger, P. (2016). Steric and electronic manipulation of the anagostic interaction in 1-Tetralone oxime and imine complexes of Rhodium(I). European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, (1), 64-77. doi:10.1002/ejic.201501122
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4092