Associate Professor Graham Saunders
Qualifications: B.A.(Hons) Oxon, D.Phil Oxon
Personal Website: http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/about-us/people/gsaunder
Research is directed towards using the properties of the carbon―fluorine bond in organometallic chemistry and for highly repellant surfaces.
- Organometallic Chemistry
- The extreme strength and the electronic and steric properties of the C―F bond are used to confer useful properties on organometallic complexes, in particular catalytic activity.
- C―F bond fission is used to synthesize organometallic complexes, not accessible by other routes.
- Superhydrophobic Surfaces
- The extreme water repellancy of perfluoroalkyl groups is used to confer superhydrophobicity on metal surfaces. The work has been highlighted by Nature and Scientific American. The simple fabrication technique allows a range of unusual phenomena to be investigated, such as the Cheerios Effect and 'super-buoyancy', which allows boats to be constructed of metal mesh, and has potential industrial importance.
- Thomas, Hayden (in progress). Synthesis and reactions of metal complexes of fluoroaryl-substituted N-heterocycle carbenes.
- Pachal, Sam (2012). Superhydrophotitanium bic and titanium dioxide.
- Thomas, Hayden (2015). Synthesis and characterisation of mecury and rhodium NHC complexes containing polyfluoroaryl substituents.
- Schroder, Ivan (2012). Synthesis of dicyandiamide derivatives for agricultural applications.
Saunders, G. C., & Thomas, H. P. (2017). Crystal structure and theoretical calculations of 1-(4-trifluoromethyl-2,3,5,6-tetrafluorophenyl)-3-benzylimidazolium bromide. Journal of Structural Chemistry, 58(1), 211-215. doi:10.1134/S0022476617010310
Thomas, H. P., Wang, Y., Lorenzini, F., Coles, S. J., Horton, P. N., Marr, A. C., & Saunders, G. C. (2017). Cyclometalation via carbon–fluorine bond activation induced by silver particles. Organometallics, 36, 960-963. doi:10.1021/acs.organomet.6b00872
Althagbi, H. I., Bernstein, D. R., Crombie, W. C., Lane, J. R., McQuiston, D. K., Oosterwijk, M. A., . . . Zou, W. (2017). The crystal structures of 1-(4-halo-2,3,5,6-tetrafluorophenyl)-3-benzylimidazolium bromides: The relative importance of anion–π, lone pair–π, π–π stacking and halogen bonding interactions. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 206, 61-71. doi:10.1016/j.jfluchem.2017.12.006
Ma, Y., Wang, Y. -M., Morgan, P. J., Jackson, R. E., Liu, X. -H., Saunders, G. C., . . . Marr, A. C. (2017). Designing effective homogeneous catalysis for glycerol valorisation: selective synthesis of a value-added aldehyde from 1,3-propanediol via hydrogen transfer catalysed by a highly recyclable, fluorinated Cp*Ir(NHC) catalyst. Catalysis Today. doi:10.1016/j.cattod.2017.09.036
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4092