Dr Adrian Pittari
Senior Lecturer in Physical Volcanology
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Melbourne, PhD Monash
Dr. Adrian Pittari joined the staff in the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences in September 2007. His research is focused on physical volcanological and related volcaniclastic sedimentation processes in both modern and ancient deposits. Current research interests include: monogenetic volcanoes, caldera dynamics, explosive conduit-vent processes, ignimbrite emplacement processes, kimberlite volcanology, and volcaniclastic deposits in sedimentary successions.
- McLeod, Oliver (in progress). Volcanology of the Alexandra Volcanic Group, North Island, New Zealand.
- Yousefzadeh, Elham (in progress). Giant pyroclastic flows: the physics of an extreme natural hazard.
- Cook, Elizabeth (2016). Felsic volcanism in the eastern Waihi area: Process origins of the Corbett and Ratarua ignimbrites and the Hikurangi Rhyolite.
- Loame, Remedy (2016). Using a tephrostratigraphic framework to determine the past 40,000 years of fault rupture and paleohydrothermal activity on the east strand of the Whirinaki Fault, Ngakuru Graben, central Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Bodger, Billy (2016). Andesite volcanic facies and hydrothermal alteration in the subsurface peripheral to existing Waihi mine workings (co-supervisor Shaun Barker).
- Mullane, Kevin (2016). Geophysical characterisation of the Onewhero and Kellyville Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Simons, Benjamin (2014). Volcanic history and eruption processes of Blue Lake Crater, Tongariro.
- Julian, Hannah (2016). Deposit characteristics and eruption processes of the Owharoa ignimbrite, Waihi caldera.
- Prentice, Marlena (in progress).
- Brink, Megan (2012). Emplacement processes of ignimbrites in the Ongatiti Valley, southeast Te Kuiti.
- Taylor, Simon (2012). Volcanology of the Raventhorpe and Pokeno West Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vincent, Kirsty (2012). U-Pb dating of silicic volcanic rocks of the Eastern Coromandel Peninsula.
- Gibson, April (2012). Volcanology of tuff rings at Kellyville, Onewhero and Bombay, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vestman Andersen, Linda (2011). A comparison of buried andesites at Ngatamariki and Rotokawa geothermal fields, Taupo.
- Matheson, Maree (2015). Eruptions dynamics and hydrological implications of Basaltic Volcanic Centres at Lake Taupo.
Pittari, A., Briggs, R. M., & Bowyer, D. A. (2016). Subsurface geology, ancient hydrothermal systems and crater excavation processes beneath Lake Rotomahana: Evidence from lithic clasts of the 1886AD Rotomahana Pyroclastics. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 314, 110-125. doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2015.10.009
Pittari, A., Briggs, R., & Kilgour, G. (2016). Eruption styles at young vents across the Tongariro Volcanic Centre, with case studies at Ngauruhoe and Blue Lake Crater. In C. Stewart, H. J. R. Keys, D. M. Johnston, A. Satterfield, & E. Lambie (Eds.), Proceedings of ‘Volcano 2015’: A Volcanic Science and Risk Management Workshop Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the 1995–1996 Ruapehu Eruptions Vol. GNS Science Miscellaneous Series 85 (pp. 6). Conference held at Whakapapa Village, New Zealand: GNS Science.
Pittari, A., Muir, S. L., & Hendy, C. H. (2016). Lake-floor sediment texture and composition of a hydrothermally-active, volcanic lake, Lake Rotomahana. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 314, 169-181. doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2016.02.025 Open Access version: hdl:10289/10443
Pittari, A., Cas, R. A. F., Lefebvre, N., & Kurszlaukis, S. (2015). Alteration Styles in the Orion Central Volcanic Complex, Fort a la Corne Kimberlite Field, Saskatchewan, and Their Effects on Primary Volcaniclastic Textures: Implications for Facies Mapping and Diamond Exploration. Economic Geology, 110(1), 147-171. doi:10.2113/econgeo.110.1.147
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4191